95: Live Again, Rengoku!

Kyōjurō's footsteps echoed softly as he continued his way along the sori-bashi (moon bridge).

With it's long, weaving, and winding surface, extending endlessly throughout the heavens, the bridge seemed to transcend time and space, connecting the gap between the ethereal realm above and the earthly realm below.

The sky was painted gold as thick, fluffy clouds surrounded the heavenly bridge. The sun's warm rays pierced through them, creating a mesmerizing display of light and shadow across the horizon.

Heeding the divine Tennyo's words, Kyōjurō continued to look straight ahead and didn't glance back, regardless of the people he passed by. Souls ranging from the young and old continued their ascension, their ethereal forms glowing softly as they walked towards the heavens, whereas Kyōjurō pressed onward in his descent back to the world of the living.

As much as he would like to stay, he simply couldn't wait to return to his body. No doubt it was still lying battered, bloodied, and lifeless back on earth. His battle with the pugnacious Akaza had been the cause of his untimely death, leaving everyone that he both loved and cherished, grieving with a heavy heart.

However, there was still one question that lingered in Kyōjurō's mind: who was the brave soul that sacrificed and gave their life for his own?

Was it someone he knew or someone who knew him?

Surely it couldn't have been any of his friends, his young kouhais, or his beloved wife, (Name). He refuses to believe that anyone close to him would willingly lay down their life for him.

Plus, how could anyone revive the dead? It's impossible to bring back someone who has already passed away. The finality of death is a universal truth that cannot be changed or reversed by any means known to humanity.

It just seems so surreal.

However, there was the concept of using breathing style techniques to heal wounds. There had been records of demon slayers miraculously saving themselves through this method. Yet, the wound inflicted on Kyōjurō was so deep and grievous that even the most skilled of demon slayers (like Shinobu) would have struggled to mend it.

Also, it would have to be one hell of breathing style to achieve such a feat! Regardless, the mere idea of someone giving up their life for him filled Kyōjurō with a mix of emotions: confusion, sorrow, and a newfound appreciation.

Having been so immersed in his train of thought, Kyōjurō failed to realize the figure in front of him before it was too late, as he accidentally bumped into them.

"Ah, sorry about that," He quickly apologized. However, Kyōjurō knew he couldn't look back to face them properly as the stranger stopped just an inch behind him.

"It's quite alright, Rengoku-san." The stranger spoke.

Gold and red eyes immediately widen in shock upon hearing the sound of a familiar voice. It was feminine, soft-spoken, and wise.

N-no way! It couldn't be. Could it really be her?

Suddenly, Kyōjurō had the urge to look back.

"Ah, ah, ah, you mustn't look back." Otsune warns him with a gentle smile on her face as she stands there with her back against his own.