23: Blood in The Snow

⚠Warning⚠‼ strong description of blood and gore in this chapter!

══════════════════════════

The snow crunched with every step Kyojuro took. His heart beating fast with adrenaline pumping through his veins as he continued forward. His indomitable spirit was being tested, and he had fought with every ounce of his being, wielding his flaming sword with unwavering determination.

The heavy scent of blood lingered in the cold winter air, intensifying as he continued to drag his sword through the snow-covered landscape. The red steel of his nichirin blade stained with the blood of his fallen foes, and dripping onto the white snow. From the dark corners of the wilderness, the demonic creatures watched his every move with a predatory gaze, their bloodlust driving them to follow him as he left the village behind. The effects of the akachoko had drawn them to him, turning his journey into a perilous one as he ventured further into the unknown.

They snarled and growled, baring their fangs at him, yet their movements were hesitant. Kyojuro could easily sense their insatiable hunger...and their fear!

He'd counted sixteen, since he already killed three and thankfully, none of them were an Upper-moon rank and were weak. Though humanoid, some appeared more animal and what little intelligence they'd carried, was now replaced with nothing but primal instincts to hunt. Each step they took towards him was slow and calculated, as if unsure of their own abilities to take him down. Despite their menacing appearance, there was a sense of vulnerability in their eyes, a glimmer of uncertainty that contrasted with their aggressive posturing.

Regardless, they followed him mindlessly like a pack of starving wolves, each maw salivating for the taste of his flesh.

He doubted whether they were aware that their decision to attack him would ultimately result in their own downfall. The sight of his sword, stained with the blood of his enemies, served as a grim reminder of the consequences of their actions. His warning was clear and unmistakable.

Once far away from the village, Kyojuro abruptly halted in his step, his red and golden eyes continue to stare straight ahead. He had no idea where he was, but as long as he lead the vile demons far away from the village, he didn't care. This is where his battle with them will take place. He will kill them right here.

Kyojuro's heart pounded in his chest as he gazed out at the desolate landscape before him. The sky was still grey with the sun being concealed behind thick grey clouds. So, if he could just hold out until the sky clears, his victory is assured. In the meantime, he remained resolute, his grip tightening on the hilt of his sword as he prepared for the coming battle.

The air was thick with tension as Kyojuro took a deep breath, steeling himself for what was to come. The demons would be upon him soon, their malevolent presence felt even from a distance. But Kyojuro was undaunted, his determination unwavering. He knew that this was a fight he had to win, not just for himself, but for the safety of the village he had sworn to protect and for girl who would soon be his wife.

Without hesitation, one demon decided enough was enough, and went to attack him!

Bad move.

With a quick fiery slash, Kyojuro decapitated the demon's head, blood spewing like a geyser.

The others, completely unfazed at their "friend's" demise, also charged. But once again, the Flame Hashira was quick and quickly decapitated the vile fiend. His red and golden eyes filled with furious rage as one by one charged at him with razor-sharp at the ready.