87: Last Words

"Why won't you let me come with you, Kyō?"

Your voice is slightly muffled via your face buried into his chest, while Kyōjurō embraced you oh so tightly as he nuzzles his cheek against the top of your head, clawed hands coming up to caress your hair just to soothe you.

"You need to stay here, my love," he says and instantly, his worries for your safety reared its ugly head, "It's far too risky and dangerous. I want you to be safe and take care of our son."

You refused to leave his arms and instead looked up at him, his gentle hand stroking your cheek so caringly that it contrasted his soft, but unbending words. Kyōjurō's sharp eyes searched your face for any objection, any refusal that would ultimately led to yet another argument between you.

Oh, how stubborn you can be sometimes.

But, no matter how utterly hardheaded you are, Kyōjurō would never grow angry or harm you by his hand. He refuses to be a man who raises his hand at a woman!

He understood completely why you wanted to come with him on the Mugen Train. A wife who loved her husband so much, that she's willing to risk her life to make sure he makes it out alive.

Kyōjurō curse himself for being so overprotective of you. You've proven yourself time and time again that you were strong, brave, and cable enough to hold your own.

Why won't you let her come with you, Kyōjurō? Curse you to the deepest, darkest corners of the world, he scolds himself bitterly.

Your hands cupped his jaw and Kyōjurō slowly blinked in the familiar, euphoric warmth that came with your touch, "then, don't go." You tell him.

"I have to go."

"No you don't." You retorted.

Stubborn wife.

"Yes I do! If I don't, people will die! I'm a demon slayer! Why can't you see to logic, my love!" He raised his voice, though he hadn't meant to sound cruel. But, you were making it ever so difficult.

You knew the underlying meaning behind his persistent words. Your body tensed up in his hold and Kyōjurō clutched you tighter in sincere apology. He told you one day long ago, before the kiss, before he fell in love, that he would, under no circumstances, hold his title as Flame Hashira between your growing relationship.

Now, you're his wife and the chances of death hovering above you two, Kyōjurō realized that he would never be able to fully detach from his duty as a demon slayer for you.

"...I...I know that, Kyōjurō. I know it's not always safe for you. Or me, I just..." in the back of your head, you knew deep down that this would eventually show its ugly face again.

It always did.

"I just wanted one more night with you." You tell him.

And yet, Kyōjurō's heart is still in love with you.

"Why do you risk yourself so foolishly?" the question slips from you.