CHAPTER 46 - PAINFUL END

The clock seems to tick in slow motion, hours passing with no update, lips trembling with prayers, eyes soaked with tears, and hearts beating with fear. Restlessness spreads across everyone in the waiting room.

Footsteps of the surgeon thunder down the floor, and as soon as the door creaks open, everyone jumps out of their seats.

"Any update about Chaeyoung and Sana, Doctor?" Mrs. Son begins, with Mina standing beside her. Their hands never leave each other, transferring comfort through each other's warmth and presence.

The surgeon reads their faces, "The surgery was successfully done..." he starts.

A wave of relief washes over every face in the room. Sighs of heavy breaths palpably escape everyone's mouths, ease the thick atmosphere.

"But..." the surgeon adds, causing every brow to furrow and hearts to beat faster again.

Jeongyeon steps beside both women, "Is there anything wrong, Doctor? Tell us," his voice vibrating with nervousness.

The surgeon pats Jeongyeon's shoulder before his eyes linger on Mrs. Son and Mina. "I'm sorry. We tried our best already, but," he slowly shakes his head, "we couldn't save Son Chaeyoung."

"What? No!!" Jeongyeon shouts in disbelief, trying to deny what he just heard. His voice thrills echo repeatedly in grief.

Mrs. Son lets go of Mina's hands, "No...there's no way my son left me...please save him!! Do everything you can to save him. He can't leave me!" Her shouts grow with rage and denial.

"We couldn't save Son Chaeyoung."

The words mix together in Mina's hearing, piercing like a broken record. Her eyes blink repeatedly, her legs suddenly feeling like they don't belong to her as she slowly falls to the floor.

"Chaeyoung...." Her breath hitches, her voice shifts in shrill grimace as she screams his name. "Chaeyoung-aaa!!!" Her eyes linger on the entrance of the operation room. "You can't leave me, Chaeyoung!! I need you...please!!" She clutches her tight chest.

"Mommy!!" Hoonie runs beside Mina, his eyes swollen with tears though he's clueless about what's happening. He wraps Mina in his little embrace, little hiccups escaping his mouth as he cries. "Mommy...Mommy!!" His voice cracks as he calls for his mom.

Jihyo abruptly holds Mina, resting Mina's head on her chest. "Shhh...calm down, Mina-yaa," she says, although she's already quivering, soaked with tears.

"No!! Chaeyoung can't leave me...he promised me he wouldn't leave me...Chaeyoung is not dead, bring him back to me...please," Mina chokes out as she begs for Chaeyoung. "He can't leave me, Jihyo-yaa!!" She hits Jihyo's chest with her drained energy.

"Stay strong, Mina-yaa...please," Jihyo holds her hand, nestling her head deeper into hers. "You have to go through this...We will go through this together, Mina-yaa," Jihyo muffles between her sobs.

"No...please, Chaeyoung is still alive, he can't die!" Mina's voice descends into an inconsolable whimper.

"Mommy...I'm here, Mommy, stop crying," Hoonie nestles into Mina's, his hand tightening around his mother. Jihyo's heart shatters for the little boy, causing her to wrap both Mina and Hoonie, providing comfort through their grief.

The door suddenly opens, and the stretcher is pushed out from the room, with a body covered with a white blanket. Mina musters her energy, forcing herself to stand up with Jihyo's help as they approach the stretcher.

Mrs. Son bites her lower lip, her eyes shut tightly, allowing her salty tears to flow effortlessly as she tries to collect herself. With trembling hands, she removes the fabric covering the body's face. Her legs give in as Chaeyoung's breathless face is revealed before her.

Mina leans closer to Chaeyoung's face, sniffing through her stuffy nose. "Chaeyoung, wake up...you're just sleeping, right? You always look this charming while you sleep like this...but please wake up, Chaeng...Let's go home...let's get some rest at home with our son, baby. I know you love to play around and tease me, but stop it now, baby...it's not funny at all. I'm crying right now...didn't you hate to see me cry? Please baby, make me stop crying..." Mina pleads almost in a whisper while brushing his face.

"Baby...you told me that you wanted to see me right by your side as soon as you opened your eyes, right? Now I'm here...I'm not leaving you, I'm here beside you...So please, baby...open your eyes...you can't leave me," she bites her lower lip tightens as she receives no response from Chaeyoung.

"Chaeyoung..baby, open your eyes now and please tell me that this is all just a nightmare that this is all just a lie I know you will wake up for me in my arms and we will talk about our hopes and dreams together for Hoonie. Tell me baby, this is just a bad dream please tell me because I can't bear with this intense pain that I felt like dying too" Mina sobs as she wraps around Chaeyoung's body tighten.

"I want you to stay never and go away from me, Chaeyoung. Stay forever, to be here beside me again. Why did you have to leave me when you said that you will come back to me. Why did you have to leave me?" Her hands start to hit her chest. "Yaa!! Wake up, Son Chaeyoung!" she begins to scream again and hit the lifeless body. Jihyo holds her in her embrace again, trying to calm her down.

One of the nurses then interrupts, "We have to bring Chaeyoung-ssi for the next procedure now, please give us a way," the nurse begins to push the stretchers again.

"No!! You can't take him away from me." Mina grabs Chaeyoung's hand, prompting Jihyo to hold her back. "Let me go!! They are taking my Chaeyoung away...I can't let him go with them, please I'm begging you, stop them!!" she begins to protest in Jihyo's arms, trying to free herself.

But the more she tries, the more her energy drains. As the stretcher is pushed further, her hands loosen on Chaeyoung, and slowly, she loses her hold on him.

"Why didn't you hold my hand, baby? Why did you let me go..You can't leave me like this" Her voice tinged denial, looking at her love being taken away. "You promised me you wouldn't leave me. Why, Chaeyoung-aa? What I've do you wrong this time? What should I do to make you stay with me? Tell me, why did you always leave my behind, Chaeyoung? " She muffles between her sobs, her breath getting heavier.

"Why Son Chaeyoung?"

"Son Chaeyoung...?"

"Chaeyoung..?"

"Chaeng ??"

"I know promised you that I'll come back to you, Mina. I know you are waiting for me."

"I'm sorry I hurt you again, and I won't be able to stop your crying anymore."

"I wish I could always tell you that I was made to love you. To love you with all my heart."

"I still want you all the time. Still my heart filled with longing, wanting to come back to you. I need you all the time. I want to run to you like crazy. My arms want to fully embrace you again."

"I can't say anything to you anymore, to lift your pain, to heal your wounds. I'm lost in a time where you need me the most."

"I hate me"

To be continued...