CHAPTER 35 - MY DNA

The atmosphere is now alive with playful giggles and Hoonie's jovial antics, causing everyone to laugh along. Despite being engulfed with guilt and uncertainty, Chaeyoung feels an overwhelming urge to claim every little moment he missed with his son. The desire to strengthen their bond emerges strongly within him.

The ambiance in the house makes him feel like he used to belong there, as if it's familiar to him. Sometimes, when he looks at Mina, he's still bewildered by the fact that they used to love each other. Deep inside, he wonders what happened between them. Did he break up with her before the accident? Was that break up what caused Mina to no longer care for him? What led to Mina and their friends and child disappearing from his life, leaving only Sana and his mom? These questions weigh heavily on his mind.

"Chaeng, Sana. It seems like you both still can't get enough time with Hoonie yet, so would you mind staying for lunch? Just thought it would give you guys more time with Hoonie," Tzuyu suggests, amused by how Hoonie clings to Chaeyoung and how Chaeyoung handles his son's antics.

"Sure,why not? lunch together sounds good. I could use some time to catch up with you guys too," Chaeyoung replies eagerly.

Tzuyu looks at Mina, who gives him a bewildered stare, making Tzuyu chuckle and gesture for her to go to the kitchen.

Mina rolls her eyes and forces herself to rise from her seat. "I'll be in the kitchen now, preparing lunch," she says, walking away from them.

"Don't forget a table for 5, Mina-ssi," Tzuyu calls after her, triggering her annoyance to increase as she turns around and gives Tzuyu a deadly stare before disappearing into the kitchen.

"That's definitely scary, don't you think so? You're such a teaser, Tzuyu-yaa," Chaeyoung interjects, noticing Mina firing a glare at Tzuyu, which surprises him.

"What do you mean? You're more of a teaser than me, especially when it comes to Mina. You were always the expert teaser back then, Chaeng," Tzuyu chuckles, looking at the clueless Chaeyoung.

"It sounds like I'm always getting under her skin," Chaeyoung grins, imagining how it would be to tease Mina. He smiles at the thought of Mina's cute, mad expression. "But maybe I should try teasing her next time, like I used to, if you don't mind, Tzuyu-yaa," he suggests playfully.

Tzuyu's eyes widen. "Why should I mind? If it can help you feel back how you used to live your life before, then go for it, Chaeng. I'm more supportive than forbidding you. Who knows, maybe it can help you slowly remember everything. Just give it a shot," Tzuyu says reassuringly as he walks closer to Chaeyoung and pats his shoulder.

Mina busies herself preparing lunch, boiling yukgaejang soup, stir-frying some meat, and now taking out her handmade strawberry tart from the oven. The aroma of the freshly baked strawberry tart fills the kitchen, creating a delightful blend of strawberries, butter, and sugar that wafts through the air, enveloping the entire space in its sweet fragrance.

"Wow, what's that delicious aroma? I could smell it all the way from the living room," Chaeyoung exclaimed as he entered the kitchen, his toothy smile and sparkling eyes lighting. "Oh my goodness, is that a strawberry tart?" he added, his eyes shining with excitement as he approached Mina.

Mina couldn't help but smile, touched by Chaeyoung's compliment. "Yup, it is. Hoonie loves the strawberry tart I make. The last time I made for him, he finished all in the blink of an eye and asked for more. Your son is crazy about strawberries, just like his daddy," she says, her gaze lingering on Chaeyoung as she admires how his eyes light up at the sight of the tart. But as soon as their eyes meet, she quickly averts her gaze.

Chaeyoung rubs his nape, "He really does take after me, I guess," he says with an awkward chuckle. "Can I have one?" he asks, extending his hand towards the tarts. But before he can grab one, Mina quickly brushes his hand away, stopping him in his tracks.