CHAPTER 26 - RED HANDED

-TIME SKIPPED-

Mina is now totally engrossed in the paperwork for the tender she recently acquired. She's feeling a bit miserable since the client is always demanding. Every time her team submits the paperwork, there's always something that seems wrong, making her feel desperate to check their corrections in detail before the deadline.

For a moment, her eyes catch on a wrong part. "There you are, little silly mistakes that give me big silly trouble," she cutely mumbles while grabbing the highlighter to mark the mistakes. But suddenly her phone rings, diverting her attention for a while.

Her smile suddenly widens as she picks up the phone. "Hello, babe, already missing me?" she naughtily asks Chaeyoung on the other end.

Chaeyoung wastes no time in replying. "I always miss you, but I have to tell you that I can't pick you up today, so can you ask Jihyo to send you home?" he sounds rushed.

"Hey, hey, cool down, catch your breath first and tell me what's wrong? Why can't you pick me up and why are you asking for Jihyo's help?" She pouts while waiting for him to answer, but she suddenly smiles again upon hearing Chaeyoung take a slow, deep breath.

Chaeyoung sighs while slowly saying, "Babe, I need to go to the hospital because..."

"W-what!? What happened, Chaeng? Are you okay? Are you hurt? Are you sick? Where are you now? Wait for me, I'll go with you," Mina's speaking pace quickens in one breath while standing up, collecting her stuff, and flipping close the paperwork on her table.

Chaeyoung suddenly halts her. "Baby girl, slow down, slow down," he gently says. "Relax and take a breath first." Now he's the one trying to calm his girlfriend down.

"Idiot, how can I relax when something bad happened to you?" Mina presses the bridge of her nose.

Chaeyoung chuckles hearing her nagging. "Babe, nothing happened to me, don't worry. It's just... Sana," his voice almost inaudible when mentioning Sana's name.

An odd expression appears on Mina's face as she sits again at her chair. "Uh, what's with her? Is she okay?" Mina casually asks, but worry still lingers in her tone.

Chaeyoung's lips slightly tremble as he tries not to crack. "She fainted during the photoshoot, so I need to go to the hospital just to check on her. You know it's my responsibility after all because she's my employee too," he manages to hide his sadness from Mina.

Mina is unbothered to ask further about Sana and understands Chaeyoung's responsibility. "Umm, okay babe. I'll ask Jihyo to send me home after work. Just take care of yourself, okay?" Her voice is a mix of nonchalance and worry.

"I sure will, and I need to go now. I love you," he rushingly says.

"I love you too," she replies before Chaeyoung hangs up the call. Suddenly, gravity drags her down to earth as she realizes she already closed the paperwork that she has been studying for half a day now.

"Arghh, seriously? Now I need to reread all of these again," she whines and ruffles her hair aggressively, making herself completely messed up. "Damn you, Son Chaeyoung," she cutely curses her boyfriend, not for the first time. She sometimes does it when Chaeyoung gets on her nerves, but she never says it to his face.

Chaeyoung paces up to the hospital and slides himself into one of the private rooms there. He finds Sana sleeping on the bed, with IV fluids connected to her veins. Looking at Sana's fragility aches Chaeyoung's heart.

He gets lost in worry while sitting on the chair beside the bed until suddenly the door creaks open, and the doctor enters the room.

"Good evening, Sir. I'm Doctor Jeonghan and you...?"