CHAPTER 32 - STRANGER

-5 YEARS LATER-

In the bustling Seoul grocery store, the air is filled with a symphony of sounds—the chatter of shoppers, the faint hum of background music, and the intermittent beeping of scanners at the checkout counters. Amidst the lively atmosphere, Sana navigates the aisles with purpose, her eyes scanning the shelves for specific items. Moving seamlessly from one section to another, she walks with determination, focused on her task at hand.

In the beverages section, Sana finds herself caught in a dilemma, weighing her options between two drinks in her hands. With a thoughtful expression, she examines the beer on her right hand "Hmm, why this one looks more tempting??" she muses aloud. Shifting her gaze to the bottle in her left hand, she considers its unfamiliar label "This one, aishh..I've never tasted it before, but.. people say it's really good." Lost in thought, she carefully considers her choice, torn between familiarity and the allure of trying something new.

Her eyes keep shifted between those two drinks until suddenly her orbs bigger, her mouth slightly open with 'O' shape as she gasps with her own decision. "Yaa, idiot, why should you consider just one when you can get both of these" she scolds herself, gritting her teeth in frustration at her momentary indecision.

Turning her head to her surroundings, Sana squints a bit, trying to search for someone. "Arghh, where has he gone..this guy can't really stay still even for a second" she mumbles to herself while walking away, strolling around and continuing to search for the missing person.

Standing before the shelves displaying plushies and toys, a man puts his finger between his lips, his mind silently pondering over all the toys. He bends a bit, attempting to reach the cub plushie down the shelf, but suddenly feels the hem of his shirt being pulled, stopping him in his tracks.

He looks down, his eyes catching the culprit who pulled his shirt. Suddenly, he chuckles softly. "Hey, little boy... What are you doing here?" He gently asks the boy as he squats down to the little boy's level. His eyes scan the surroundings, confused about where the boy's parents are. "Where are your parents, boy?" He asks. But the little boy remains silent, his lips pressed tightly together and his eyes blinking repeatedly as he looks at the man.

He holds the boy's hand gently. "Are you lost?" he asks, studying the little boy's face until he suddenly flinches as someone shouts out his name.

"Yaa, Son Chaeyoung! I've been looking for you everywhere. What are you doing here?" Sana mumbles in annoyance as she walks closer to him.

"Tsk!" Chaeyoung clicks his tongue and shakes his head, feeling a bit irritated with Sana's high-pitched voice, as if her voice could break a glass.

"Yaa, who is this??" Sana's eyes sparkle and widen cutely, her mouth gasping as she looks at the little boy standing in front of Chaeyoung.

Chaeyoung heaves a sigh. "Um, I don't know. I think this kid lost his parents," he explains and stands up but still holding onto the boy's hand.

Sana then squats down to the little boy's level. "Hey cutie, what's your name?" She flashes the sweetest and most reassuring smile she can manage.

The boy cluelessly scans her face, his cute voice finally echoing, "M-my name is Hoonie," he says, tinged with fear.

"Hoonie?" Sana brushes his cheek gently. "What a cute name. Are you lost ?? Let's find your parents, okay?" She says while stroking his hair.

They then bring the boy to the help desk, asking the staff there to make an announcement about the kid. As the announcement echoes throughout the store, they decide to leave.

"Hey boy, are you scared?" Chaeyoung gently asks him, his hands resting on the boy's shoulder.

The boy says nothing but shakes his head while smiling at Chaeyoung. As he smiles, his dimple emerges on the left side of his cheeks.