CHAPTER 28 - THE EDGES

The next day, Chaeyoung picks up Mina for their lunch together. The silence between them evidences that they still haven't fully made up yet. They keep avoiding each other's gazes and mind their own things while eating.

Mina is now more aware of her boyfriend's behavior, making her want to protect Chaeyoung from Sana. As they eat, she finally breaks the silence. "Don't forget your promise this morning that you won't meet her for personal reasons without telling me again, Chaeng," she bitterly says, putting down her cutlery.

Chaeyoung lets out a small chuckle. "Don't worry. I promise you. And I really won't make you mad and sad again. I'm sorry, babe," he says sincerely.

This morning, Chaeyoung already tried to mend things with her. He realized that he hurt his girlfriend and crossed his limit again this time. He also feels clueless about his own behavior yesterday; he wasn't in his right mind.

He wishes for a Time-Turner so he can go back, rectify his mistakes, especially the worst things he had done to his girlfriend. The regret drives him to plead with Mina that he will never meet Sana alone for personal business without telling her again. He convinces her, and Mina agrees to forgive him, at least she's feeling a bit lighter.

"Chaeng?" Sana, with her bubbly smile, enters Chaeyoung's office. It's become natural for her to visit Chaeyoung every day. She hates doing this, but lately, her father keeps pushing her, leaving her no choice.

Chaeyoung is engulfed in his work, not bothering to look at her. There's a hint of guilt in his voice as he says, "What brings you here, Sana-yaa?"

The glee in Sana fades away, her smile dropping. "Are you mad at me?" Her brows furrow.

Chaeyoung blinks, the bitterness in his throat barely allowing him to speak. "No. I'm not."

Chaeyoung's cold demeanor is noticeable, and she doesn't want to disturb him anymore. "You don't seem like you're not mad at me. I'm going now," she turns around, her heels clattering against the floor.

"Sana-yaa, sit," Chaeyoung looks up at her.

Slowly, Sana closes the distance, sitting in front of him. She avoids eye contact, feeling upset and sad. Her gaze falls everywhere but not on Chaeyoung.

Chaeyoung diverts all his attention to her. "Now tell me, what is it?" He asks, the promise he made to Mina flooding his mind, but the sight of Sana's gloomy face tugs at his heartstrings.

"I just want to apologize because of me, you and Mina bickered yesterday. I'm really sorry, Chaeng," she says, untangling the knot of guilt she's been holding since yesterday.

Trying to collect his words, Chaeyoung chews his lower lip. "It's okay, Sana-yaa. It's not entirely your fault, it was mine. Let's not talk about this anymore."

Sana nods, deciding not to push further. She stares blankly at Chaeyoung, her mind filled with reservations about whether to leave or initiate another topic to discuss with him.

"I know that stare, just tell me what's running through your mind, Sana-yaa," Chaeyoung loosens his tension as his voice softens.

Fidgeting with her fingers, Sana tries to untangle the knot in her stomach. "Chaeng, I have a follow-up checkup this evening. Will you come with me?"

Chaeyoung rubs his nape, hesitation catching him in action. He gives Sana a long silence, which Sana assumes means her request is rejected.

"It's okay if you can't. You also need to pick up Mina, right? I'll go on my own," she utters, frustration displayed on her face.

Chaeyoung beams a faint smile. "Actually, Mina will go home with Jihyo because they are having a meeting outside. I'll come with you," he says, throwing away the promise he made to Mina, as he hates to see Sana upset with him.