CHAPTER 42 - SILENT PLEADS

The atmosphere thickens with tension, each heartbeat echoing loudly in everyone's chest. There's a lot to comprehend, especially after Chaeyoung's unexpected announcement to move out. Everything and everyone seems shrouded in darkness, making it difficult for them to figure out what comes next.

"But why? Why do you want to give up? Why now, Son Chaeyoung??" Sana's voice echoes across the room, her eyes filled with dissatisfaction as she looks at Chaeyoung.

Chaeyoung sighs heavily, "I don't think I'll be able to remember everything anymore, Sana-yaa...I've been here for months, and nothing...just nothing about my past has come back to me. I've never seen myself with my memories anymore. It feels like I'm wasting my time trying to figure myself out. It's time to leave the past behind and stop dwelling on it. What's important now is my future, right?" His words are clear, but inside, he feels numb to everything.

Sana knows that Chaeyoung is lying to everyone about not regaining his memory, but she lacks the courage to speak up. She fears to her thought of the resentment from the others and worries that revealing the truth might deepen Mina's hatred towards Chaeyoung even further.

"It's fine, Chaeng...I can't force you to remember yourself. I'll support you in whatever decisions you make. You'll always got our back, Chaeng," Jeongyeon replies with genuine understanding. Despite disagreeing with Chaeyoung's decision to give up and move out, he knows his friend deserves to continue his life, his new life. He doesn't want Chaeyoung to be stuck here while Mina has already moved on. He needs to be fair to both of them.

Mina remains silent, staring at Chaeyoung. She knows they are reaching a closure now. 'Is there really no hope for us anymore? Are you really giving up on us? Is this how everything are going to end between us? I've been lying to myself, saying I don't love you anymore because I don't want to feel the pain from you. I hate that your presence brings me pain. I hate even more that your presence also cure my wounds. But now, I hate even more of losing you again because it hurts more than anything I've ever felt before, Son Chaeyoung.' She blinks away the tears clinging to her eyes. If it were just Chaeyoung and her here, she would definitely beg him not to give up and leave. But she can barely move with Bambam here, and she doesn't even have the courage to clutch her chest that feels tighter than ever right now.

It's past midnight when the gathering comes to an end. Mina retreats to her room earlier, excusing herself as feeling dizzy and slightly drunk, though she barely had a drink. In truth, she needs space to calm down from the turmoil she's feeling.

As minutes turn into hours, Mina finds herself tossing and turning in her bed, her mind consumed by thoughts of Chaeyoung. He seems to make it impossible for Mina to fall asleep.

Eventually, she decides to step out of her room to check on the others. Standing in the living room, her eyes are drawn to Tzuyu and Sana, sleeping peacefully on the floor, wrapped in each other's arms under the same blanket. A warm smile tugs at Mina's lips at the sight of the newly couple, but it quickly fades when she notices Bambam.

Her stares blankly falls onto him as he's sleeping on the sofa and a sheen of sweat glistening on his forehead but Mina doesn't move closer to him or bother to wipe it away. It's strange how her heart doesn't flutter for him. For a moment, she realizes Chaeyoung and Somi aren't in the living room, causing her heart to race wildly.

Her gaze abruptly shifts toward Chaeyoung's room, consumed by a flood of overthinking as she trembles closer to the door. Her hand shakes as she grips the doorknob, hesitating, fearful of what she might find inside.

Her heart pounds faster, and with one last gasp, she twists the knob. But before she can open the door ajar, Chaeyoung inside the room opens it first .

"Oh god, you startled me, Mina-yaa," Chaeyoung flinches and places his hand on his chest because he surprised to find Mina standing before him out of nowhere.