CHAPTER 34 - THE HEIR

Start from the beginning

"Once a liar, will forever be a liar, Son Chaeyoung."

Restless in his sleep, Chaeyoung's hands clench the bedsheets tightly until he springs out of bed, abruptly sitting up straight. Now fully awake from his dream, he takes a moment to gather his thoughts, the remnants of the dream still lingering in his mind.

It's been almost years now that he keeps dreaming the same things. The recurring dreams leave him feeling confused about the identity of the mysterious woman who always appears. Trying to recall anything related to her feels suffocating, as if choking on memories that no longer exist. He struggles to remember anything from his life before the accident, leaving him in a state of uncertainty and unease.

He brushes his palms across his face, trying to collect himself. Slowly, he gets out of bed and approaches the corner of his room, where there is a sketch book stands on the easel.

He stares at the sketch he's been working on for years. It's a sketch of the mysterious woman from his dreams. His hand trembles as it trails the lines of the sketch, but his heart stings knowing that her face remains blank. He couldn't bring himself to draw her face since he's never seen it in his dreams before. But deep inside, he knows that the girl must have something to do with his past. His heart undeniably beats for her, pulsing with what he interprets as love or a longing to know her.

His mind is filled with questions,

Who are you?

Where are you?

Did we used to know each other?

Why does my heart feel strange for you when I don't even know you?

Are you that important in my life?

All the uncertainty and unanswered puzzles seem to be preventing him from getting even a bit of rest, making it impossible for him to return to sleep. It's already 3 in the morning, but all traces of sleepiness have been washed away, disturbed by the heavy weight on his heart. He desperately wants to know everything that he forgot about his life making unknowingly tears roll down his cheeks.

The sun glistens through the sheer drapes in the living room, striking Chaeyoung's face and stirring him from his sleep. He had dozed off on the sofa in the living for two hours after battling with his dreams since last night. As soon as he sits up straight, Sana suddenly emerges from her room.

Her face is surprised and alarmed as she startles at Chaeyoung. "Yaa!! You surprised me, Son Chaeyoung," Sana whines, her eyes widening in sparkles.

Chaeyoung chuckles, amused by Sana's cute surprised expression. "Yaa, you shouldn't be that surprised seeing my handsome face early in the morning. Consider yourself lucky to have this good-looking man as your morning view," he says while stretching his neck.

Sana rolls her eyes. "Handsome? Yaa, look at those eye bags. Aren't you getting enough sleep? Did you have the same dream again?" She questions while sitting on the sofa across from him.

Chaeyoung observes her, amused that Sana seems to know a lot about him without being told. "Umm... it seems so," he casually remarks.

Sana stares back at him, her eyes glittering with confusion, lost in her thoughts.

Noticing his friend frozen like a statue, Chaeyoung snaps his fingers. "Sana-yaa, are you okay? Are you sleeping with your eyes open right now?" He grins teasingly.

Sana snaps back, her voice slightly raised. "Idiot, I'm not sleeping. I'm just thinking about something," she says, blinking repeatedly at Chaeyoung. She knows he's waiting for her to continue, but she feels a bit hesitant, and that hesitation keeps her from going further.