FINAL CALL

LISA

The moment Aki and I arrived home from our short Christmas vacation, it appeared on my phone that I got seven missed calls from Jennie. No message and it's a bit bothering. Bothering in a way that it gives me chills. Something bad might be happening to her.

I texted her right away but I got no response. I tried calling her but she's not answering her phone.

The next morning, I went to her house. Jennie wasn't around and only her helper inside. I was surprised to see her cleaning some broken glass pieces on the floor and mopping every corner. Smells like beer or whatever.

"Where's Jennie?" I asked.

"She left when I arrived here this morning. She's in pain. You have to look for her. She really needs you right now. I'm sorry it was my day off yesterday. I wasn't able to protect her." She said.

"Who did this?" I asked back. She just sighed for a while. Hesitant to tell me.

"Okay. I have to be honest with you. Jisoo is physically and emotionally hurting Jennie. She's always drunk coming home. Jennie couldn't do anything about it anymore. Jisoo is becoming aggressive for how many months already. I am not sure if it's because of alcohol or some problems at work. She can't handle her anger well since she got back to work at the bureau. She always comes home screaming at Jennie." She confessed. I am hurting.

I kept calling and texting her. She is not responding. I tried to go to places where I can possibly find her but I failed. But then I got to pass by our favorite sycamore tree.

Unexpectedly, she's here. Sitting under the shade and looking far out there. I just quietly sat beside her. The world is silent. The wind is whistling words she wants to tell. And this pain in my heart turns into anger. I could feel the sensation she feels when the air touches her skin— her bruised and wounded body.

I want to kill you, Jisoo. But I'd rather be here for Jennie right now than see your face.

"Tell me the truth. Be honest with me." I whispered.

She is crying. I just let her release what she's feeling.

"Three or four months after our wedding, she's starting to manipulate me. Then here goes the screaming. And lately, she's been hurting me. Slaps and squeezes my body whenever she's mad. When there's a problem at work, I'm the one experiencing her fury and outrage. I don't even know what I did. All I do is take care of her when she arrives home.

This one, I got it yesterday when she came home learning that someone from work, a guy, dropped me off in front of our house. She's jealous. He is my producer. Gay. And I would never cheat. You know that, Lisa." My heart aches seeing the pain in Jennie's eyes while she's touching her bruised arm. Her jittery voice is making me mad of Jisoo. Poor Jennie.

"I- I want to file for divorce. I wanted to tell my parents about what she's been doing to me. But she's warning me. She told me so many times she'll hurt my son if I would dare to take an action. I am afraid, Lisa." Jennie is really in fear.

"Pl- please don't confront her. Don't tell her that you know. I am afraid she might do something to you too." Her panic-stricken voice begged for me not to do it as she could see I'm starting to turn red. I am angry.

I am just stopping myself to talk. But yes, I am very angry.

"From now on, you stay away from her. I'm getting your stuff from the house. But oh, that's our house. Why would we leave if that's ours? I'll kick her out. From this day on, she can never hurt you anymore, Jennie. Not you. Not the people we love. Not our son. I promise you that. And don't be afraid. I am here. She won't do anything to harm me. I know her. I know how she does her way. For now, stay at my place. You're safe there." I spoke gently.