GOING SOLO

5 YEARS AGO

JENNIE

I am Jennie Kim, a global idol under an American label called Dreams Entertainment. Our group consists of five members. I really wanted this. I had to experience a lot of begging just for my parents to allow me to pursue this career. I love to sing and dance. I want to act someday, too. The training period wasn't that easy but I endured everything until I reached this point of my life.

My group is famous globally. People know us. A year after our debut, we had to tour all over the world because of the demand. It was tiring but I am happy with what I do.

But if there's one thing I don't like about this, that would be how the company would treat other idols. I was untouchable. I have my principles with me.

I know what's going on. There are teens who are being groomed. There are girls who are offered this fame in exchanged of something they do not like to happen. But it happens to some.

Not to me.

My management knows that I am willing to stop if something bothers me anytime. They did not attempt to do something nasty with my career. Well, thanks also to my manager. They did not let me experience the dirty drill in the industry. But that doesn't mean I don't care about other girls anymore. When someone tells me their experience, I immediately raise the concern to the management and they are forced to stop their deeds.

I am Jennie. I am their money-maker. So, whatever I say and want, as long as it doesn't fight against the contract rules, they listen to me.

The contract.

Yeah. I may be having the best life and career, but there are also things that I cannot do. I can't date whoever I want. But that's okay. I am not yet into falling in love.

I can't be drunk in public places. Smoking is a big no. Drugs, of course, not.

I always follow the rules stated in our contract.

I also have one rule of my own. I don't want to be involved in any media play or planned scandal. I hate dramas in life. All I want to do is to perform, greet my fans and earn big.

Suitors are all over. From big businessmen, high class womanizers, prominent artists to strangers who are sending me stuff or offer a big amount just to date me. But I always say no. No. I have no time for romantic stuff in my life. Not my cup of tea really.

Until one day, even how much you love your job, you'll realize that you have already gone full circle.

I want to stop being in a girl group. My creative juices are spilling on the ground and nothing great is growing out of it.

I rebelled against the world— the industry where I am in.

I have been an idol since I was 18 and I think I am getting sick of it. I don't know where is this sudden change coming from. All I know is, I want to be free. I want to travel the world without people knowing me or running after me just to have pictures with them or sign an album. I can't even go to the mall without pretending to be someone else through my outfit.

If there's one thing also that chokes me, that's the fact that my American mother is the Mayor of New York City. My Korean father is a small businessman. I can't ruin their names. So, I always do my best to protect our reputation.

And that's killing me inside.

They are strict, but I am also stubborn. We do not meet half way. What Jennie wants, Jennie gets. But I know that my decisions hurt my parents sometimes and I also feel sorry for that.