MAZE

LISA

After that night confronting Jisoo, I decided to go back to my unit and left the house even if it's so hard for me to leave Aki again. But we still get to see each other from time to time. It just pains me seeing Jisoo and Jennie together. I don't understand what I feel. Jennie has the right to fall in love again. But I am betrayed by my best friend.

I am still mourning. I miss Riva everyday, very single day since she passed away seven months ago.

A: Dada, Aki here! I miss you!

Aki? Does he have a phone already? I doubt Jen allowed him to use one.

Tapped the call button and he answered right away.

Aki: Dada!

L: Son, is this your number? Or did you just borrow someone else's phone?

A: It's mine. Mom gave me a phone. But some apps are restricted. You know.

L: Good boy. I am glad that you have one and so I can message or call you always.

A: Me too! I miss you. How are you?

L: I'm- I'm. I don't know yet son.

A: I'm just here. Anytime.

L: Thank you, Aki.

A: Please don't stop making cars. I believe in you. What happened was just an accident.

L: Yes, son. Just reminds me of my parents, and what led them to death. Now I'm even scared. I don't want you and your mom to use the car I made from now on.

A: I want to hug you so bad!

L: Me too. When can I see you?

A: Tonight please? Mom and I are having  dinner in a restaurant. Would you like to come and dine with us? I really miss you.

L: Ok. Send me the name of the place and I will be there. I always miss you, Aki.

A: I love you. I love so much!

L: I love you. Please be responsible in using your phone ok? Don't surf too much. Social media should not be your life.

A: Yes, Dada. I promise.

I think it's time to go back to work. It's been months I haven't come to the office. Not yet in my proper state to make new cars. New year is coming. We should have a new car three months from now. I have to be well for my son. For myself. For the people who works in the company.

As I drive going to Riva,  Jennie's song when she was still performing suddenly played in my car. Made me smile. Sometimes, it's really good to tune in to a radio channel and let it play songs for you instead of choosing one from your playlist. Let it surprise you.

Oh, how I miss the old times. Catching her concerts and watch her live. Letting her sign her beautiful album.

Wait.

Lisa, go back to your senses. She is with Jisoo.

Again, she is with Jisoo now.

I shook my head before opening the door. Stop it, Lisa. Go and spend time with Riva. Move on from your past. You're not even in love with Jennie anymore.

"How are you? I miss you a lot. I miss everything about you, Riva. I wish you are the happiest there. I am sorry. I am really, really sorry." I couldn't handle this weight anymore. I sobbed in front of her tomb. Didn't stop until I heard foot steps behind me.

"Lisa." Riva's parents.

I embraced them and I felt the comfort from their rub on my back.

"How are you? Looks like you're not taking care of yourself." The mom noticed. I didn't say a word.

"You deserve to be happy. Get your life back. It's never going to be an issue with us if you'll find a partner. It's nearly a year since our daughter left us, Lisa. We are sure she wants you to be happy, too."  Riva's Dad added.

"But Riva only wants this one person for me if it's not her I am going to marry. Sadly, this woman, I can never have her back anymore." I said and looked down.

"She's not yet married, right? Maybe you just have to get to know each other again. Spend together with your son." I looked at them and realized they know it's Jennie. Still Jennie.

"But she's happy with someone else now. I guess, I am not entering a new relationship anymore. I always fail. It always fails. I'd better grind back to work and just keep hustling for my son instead. Spend more time with him. Maybe that's the only love I have left and destined to be in." I said and they embraced me again.

"And love yourself even more. Ok? We all can't move on from our daughter's death but let's help ourselves to live with the pain day by day. We have our lives too, Lisa. Our lives must go on." Riva's Mom encouraged me before I left them.

I drove going to the place where Aki and Jennie are.  I don't know why in my heart, I feel excited. Not only to be with my son but to also see his mother.

And as I walk along the maze path, I am clearly seeing Jennie's beautiful face smiling. Her family is also here.

And fuck.

Jisoo.

As I come near, I don't know why I suddenly stopped. I'm having flashbacks. Our past. The early days of falling in love with her. Her laugh. When she's too demanding and had to get what she wants, and all I did was give her every thing her heart desired for. Just to make her happy. I loved making Jennie the happiest.

Am I dying? No, stupid. Your heart is still beating.

As I'm about to take a step, I heard them cheering.

Jisoo pointed her knees to the ground til it touched the grass. Pulled out a ring and said, "Marry me, Juliet...". No.

Fuck.

Sorry, Taylor.

Again.

Jisoo pointed her knees to the ground til it touched the grass. Pulled out a ring and said, "Marry me, Jennie. I'll make you the happiest!"

Then my ears could all ever hear are heartbeat flatline and sea shell stinging my nerves, banging my brain and smashing my heart.

And she happily said, "Yes! Of course. I will marry you!".

As much as I want to keep still on my feet, my flesh is shaking. My heart, I don't know if it's still beating.

My world is indeed crashing. I don't know why.

"Dada!" Aki ran to me and gave me a hug.

I had everyone's attention.

I kissed my son's forehead. Jennie and I's eyes met. Our eyes delivered unknown messages to each other, but we both understood what we meant.

I whispered to Aki that I am going home.

I know I was in a hurry but everything's like in slow motion. I could hear Jennie's voice calling my name. It's getting nearer and nearer. I am trying to walk as fast as I could but something's squeezing my ankles, holding it back.

And here she is in front of me. Eye to eye.

No words. No noise. The world is silent.

Tears are falling from both of us. I couldn't hear anything until she spoke.

"Lisa, I am sorry. I am so sorry."

I couldn't say a word. I just walked away.

—————————–——————–—
Medyo ouch na Maundy Thursday, everyone!