COLUMBO

LISA

It's been five months now that my very own luxury car designs are on the process of bringing it to reality. I am keen on every detail and what matters to me is the safety features of these two cars.

I was told by the manufacturing head that anytime this week, we'll be able to test the first unit of the luxury car. I want it to try and let Jennie be the first one to ride in it. The other family car will also be open for testing next month.

Jennie. She is doing great. I am so proud of her because she is really doing her best to be well. In fact, she can go out of rehab anytime soon. But she's the one convincing herself to stay for a little more time. She really wants to go out with the best version of herself.

Speaking of her going back outside, I planned to buy her and Aki a new house. I tried to get our old house back but the current owner is not willing to sell it.

I have been visiting houses on sale lately and I had an eye to one of those already. It's similar to Jennie's dream house and I guess she'll like it. I still can't pay it in full right now, but I believe that I'll be able to finish it in a year or two.

Now, I am staying at a condo unit with my son and his nanny. This is a new investment that my son will inherit from me someday. I am also starting to save up for his future on a separate account. I love him so much. And since I am now earning from Skyscraper, everything is for him.

After I took a bath, my phone rang and saw Mr. Ford's name on the screen. I answered it and he reminded me that the car is ready for testing. I can't believe that it's possible to make a launching car in just a short period of time. Well, what's impossible nowadays? We even got AI all over right?

I hurriedly went to the factory and tested the car. Mr. Ford was really mesmerized by the design. He commended me for my genius mind not only on the design but also the built and functions of the car.

"Can I use it now? Maybe you have an extra plate for testing so the officers on the road will excuse me on my way to Jennie?" I asked Mr. Ford.

"You are too excited. Let's ask the team first if it's already safe to use for a long drive." He said.

The head mechanic and some other experts from the team approved.

"I am just so excited to bring this to Jennie. I want to ask her thoughts about this car. She'll surely have better suggestions." I can't stop giggling.

"The wife?" Mr. Ford asked smiling.

"The ex-wife. You know that." I said and looked down.

Mr. Ford tapped my shoulder and gave me the key. It's actually a modern car that you can just stand beside the door and it will just automatically open once your biometric data has been registered. The key is just a safety weapon just in case some modernization won't work unexpectedly.

"What's the set up?" He asked when we entered the car. He wanted me to bring him to his company while his driver on convoy behind us.

"I guess we are maintaing a relationship for our son. Maybe that's it? I'm afraid to fall deeper again, Mr. Ford. I am sure you've heard about what we've been through when she was still an actress." I said.

"Don't close your doors on the possibility of change. People change, Lisa. A person's past may be dark, but that doesn't mean she can no longer bring light into your life. It ain't hypocrisy, I believe. It's what we call development sometimes." He said with a smile on his face. I just kept driving until I brought him to the company.

My senses were too focused on the car. I'm feeling it. My heart is thumping so good on my way to Jennie.

Will she like it? I can't wait to see her reaction.

And yes, here she is at the garden of the facility planting some herbs and flowers. She ran towards the car when she realized it's me when I brought down the window.

I got off and she embraced me so tight. I held her hand even if it has bits of soil.

She's shocked on what's in front of her now. For long minutes, no words came out from our mouth, just amazement and happiness.

"Is- is this for real? Tell me this is it, Lisa! It blows my mind! You are a genius!" Jennie couldn't stop her emotions. I nodded.

"Mr. Ford was unstoppable earlier and wanted to try it. You're the one I am seeing to be with me inside the car first but he did it. I'm sorry." I said as I open the door.

We drove around this wide facility and Jennie is so proud of me. I asked her what else we can improve but she's contented. And I think her approval is enough for me to give a signal to the company to launch the car to the public. We stopped near the mountain view to enjoy the scenery while we're inside the car. I turned on the screen and connected my phone so I can play a song.

Bruno Major's When Can We Be.

"I want you to be my date on the launching of this car. Will you be, Jen?" I was like a teenager, perspiring while asking her.

She didn't answer. Jennie is just smiling.

But I suddenly felt her palm on my nape.

And her lips brushing on my jaw.
And she kissed my cheek and stared straight to my eyes.

And all I could ever hear is my heart.

Next is our wet kisses and uncertain breaths.

We kissed. And kissed more.

"Is that a 'yes', Jennie Kim?" I whispered after I broke the moment.

"Have me as your date forever in each moment of your life. I'll be there." She whispered, too.

We stayed at the backseat, just her head on my chest and my arm on her waist. I wrapped her tight so close, too close to each other like no one can ever tear us apart.

We both rested our heads while we listen to Bruno's whole new album, Columbo.

We spilled each one's favorite track from the new album without opening our eyes. We listened to it on loop, with our heartbeats joining in every bass and rhythm.

Until we fell asleep inside the car.

And the moment we opened our eyes again, I realized one thing.

Jennie feels like home.
But at the same time,

I am so afraid to fall deeper again.

Love is scary.
Love is a wrecker.

I don't want to get hurt again. I fear rejection. I fear love.

This may be calm right now. But what if a hurricane is on its way again?

How do I deal with this now that I have seen Jennie has improved so much?

--------------------

Originally while I was writing this last year, it was a different song on loop. But since I am just publishing this now and it's Bruno Major's Columbo shining moment... why not?

I even changed the title of story which was originally "Test Drive".