GLASS FILLED WITH TRUTH

Lisa was invited by Jennie's parents for dinner. Jennie's Mom is so worried of Lisa when she arrived. She looks so wasted. The Dad embraced her tight and rubbed her back. They just let Lisa cry all out. It took a minute before they settled on the dining table for dinner.

"I think it's not really going to work anymore. This marriage counseling thing doesn't help. It's just making her more mad at me." The parents are feeling Lisa's pain while she's telling them this.

"Don't say that, Lis. You are not yet both done. Maybe just a little more time, Jennie will realize that this is just a phase." The mother really wants them back.

"Eat more. Look at you. You've lost too much weight, Lisa. Your Mom and I are planning something. We talked to your counselor this morning and knew about what has been happening inside that room. What if we give you and Jennie a gift. You go on a vacation together. Your Mom and I saved a little money for this. How does it sound?" Even Jennie's Dad only wants Lisa for his daughter.

"Mom, Dad, you know how thankful I am that you accepted me when Jennie and I decided to get married. We know that you didn't like me at first when we were dating. Why not let's be like that again? Hate me. Push me away just like before. Don't get me wrong. I love your daughter so much. If only i'll be the one to decide, I will just be by her side forever. Never in my life I thought of the divorce. I love her. I think we should stop and just give her what she wants." Lisa was pretending to be okay while saying all of this.

"We are really sorry for how we treated you in the past. We just wanted the best for our daughter. Eventually, you made us realize that you are more than best, Lisa. No one can ever treat our daughter like how much you are so into her. We saw how much you love her." Jennie's Dad was so soft.

"But she doesn't love me anymore. We can't force love. I'm sorry if I failed your daughter. I am sorry if I am a failure. Please look after my Jennie and our son when I am no longer around." Lisa's tears fell from her eyes again.

"Lisa, don't say that. You are not a failure. Our daughter just don't understand that what both of you are going through is part of marriage. We are so lucky that we have you as our in-law, Lisa. We are not giving up on both of you. I believe we can all fix this. We are here for you." Jennie's Mom had a lot to say but someone cut her lines.

"Oh! I didn't know Lisa is here. I came to visit you but I didn't expect you invited her tonight for dinner. I think I should go." Jennie.

Lisa stood up and stopped Jennie from leaving.

"Jen, don't go. I'll go. Your parents miss you and you should be with them right now. Mom, Dad, I have to go now." Lisa walked herself to the door but Jennie's father called her back.

"No. No one is leaving. Go back to your seat, Lisa. Jennie, come over here." And everyone was surprised to see that Mr. Kim who used to be so strict with her daughter just came back.

Jennie sighed and sat with them on the dining area.

Lisa placed some food on her wife's plate and filled her glass with water.

"I regret spoiling you of all your needs when you were growing up. Even I was too strict, I still gave you what you want. Now that this is about your own family, I think your Mom and I must do anything for you to be just in good hands, Jennie. Fix your marriage." The father is really serious about this.

"Dad, Mom, I understand your concern and I really appreciate that you support Lisa and I. I-I just can't-. I am just not happy anymore." Jennie explained while crying.

"Jennie, we spoke to you so many times about marrying Lisa and we told you about this that there will be a chance that this would happen. You remember that you told us that you'll fight for your marriage whatever comes your way? We know you that's why we were just making sure that you're really decided on this. And now, you are ending your marriage." Mom let her voice join in.

"Why is it always me who does bad here?" Jennie is already raising her voice.

"You want us to be honest? Jennie, you are not treating Lisa like she is your partner. You are so unfair. You think you are righteous? No. You are being so selfish. Your Mom and I are not perfect and so as our marriage. But we always choose to be together. It's not that we force to be together. We talk things out and compromise. But you are not willing to compromise anything for Lisa. She always gives you what you need to hear and feel even if that hurts her. I'm sorry to tell you the truth. But you are so hard on her. That's not being humane anymore. You even told the court that Lisa cheated on you. I also couldn't believe that you agreed with that, Lisa! God! What is happening to the two of you?!" Jennie's Dad couldn't hold his tears and they saw him wiped his eyes.

Lisa is zoning out again while looking down.

Jennie's parents told them about their discussion with the marriage counselor this morning. They also showed the couple the resort booking they got for them.

"Whatever you say, Lisa and I are no longer in love with each other. I want to be happy and it's not with her anymore. " Jennie is not aware that this is the start of hurting herself.

"I know that you don't love me anymore, Jennie. I get that. You don't have to repeat it over and over again just to hurt me. But we're not the same. I love you. Let's just accept their offer and we're done." Lisa sounded hurt and tired of all that is happening.

"Huh?! Accept that resort accommodation? Lisa that's a retreat resort for couples!" Jennie raises her voice again.

"I know. I'm not dumb, Jennie. I know." Lisa is really tired.

Jennie's Mom and Dad stood up, fixed the table and took some air outside their house.

The couple are left alone on where they're seated.

Lisa gently placed her hand on Jennie's thigh and rubbed her skin to calm her. Jennie took a deep breath and sighed.

Lisa took her hand and their eyes met.

"Let's just not hurt your Mom and Dad for now. Maybe we also need this. I mean, not to get back to each other but just to relax our minds. It's been too painful for both of us lately. After this, I am setting you free with or without the divorce papers in our hands, Jennie. I promise, you'll get what you want."