INK THAT BURNT SKIN

LISA

I took a leave from work for a week because Jennie booked a vacation trip for us in Hawaii for ten days. I'm afraid to tell her that I am again a candidate for promotion and I had to take more cases so there will be a great chance for me.

But I don't want to waste her efforts. My wife is important than any other in this world. I will prioritize her whatever happens.

We stayed in a beautiful villa with an overlooking view of the beach and an infinity pool next to our eyes. Surely it will be a romantic place for us tonight.

But before the dark comes, we strolled around this island and just enjoyed the moment. Enjoying the moment while we still hide. Non-stop hiding.

But even if she hides, some people can still recognize her. There were two of her fans who asked for a picture earlier. We had to go separate ways going to the next destination for us not to be caught.

Until when will I be a secret?

Ah! I need to erase that thought from my mind. You love your wife so much right? Ok. I have to understand her. Again. I won't complain.

We were walking at the beach after we had our dinner when a group of girls noticed Jennie.

"Jen, is that you?" Jennie looked back because the voice is too familiar to her.

It's her classmate in high school. Jennie panicked and she removed her hands from my hold. I understood right away and walked slowly to the other direction. I thought my heart is strong enough as I have been used to this situation. But I found myself wiping my tears.

Will it ever happen someday that Jennie and I will freely hold each other's hand in public? Will I ever scream to the world how much I love her?

It's painful to think. I know. But I am still hopeful.

I couldn't define love. But love defined itself when I started to fall for her. And eventually, she became the definition of love for me.

My sight just followed her on our way back to the villa. We started to get cautious of the surroundings.  The night was just full of tears. I was comforting her. Her heart burst out. She let all her sorrows and pain come out.

She delivered out all her frustrations as an artist. She told me how sick she is of her job. But she just can't let it go that easily because she loves what she's doing. If only I have a better job and Jennie wants to get away from the industry she's in, I would just ask her to travel with me around the world for her to breathe. Or do whatever she wants as long as it makes her happy. But I am just a normal person. All I can do now is be here for her.

I want to make her feel that I love her even if there are times she feels unlovable.

I hate it when she's so tired from work. I don't like it when she cries at night and overthinks of the future. I am so sad when she feels suffocated when she can't have the freedom she wants. I am angry when someone invades her privacy when it's supposed to be all for herself. How I wish I can take all her worries away in a snap.

But I am just human too. Again, I am hopeful that someday I'll be a big help to Jennie in having her peace.

I am zoning out inside my office while still thinking of that night. I can't concentrate right now. I just closed my eyes and tried to listen to music.

But I was alarmed when someone's knocking on the door. Jisoo.

I think I understood in an instant what her eyes are telling me.