Chapter 4

Armani pov

As she introduced herself, I instinctively moved behind Percy's back, attempting to hide myself from Artemis's piercing gaze. However, my attempt at hiding seemed to have the opposite effect, drawing more attention to me.

I watched in silence as Artemis's expression flickered through a series of emotions. Recognition flashed in her eyes, followed by shock, horror, and a deep sense of sadness. For a moment, her usually calm and Stoic should more than usual.

Artemis's eyes lingered on me for a moment longer before she regained her composure, her features settling back into their usual impassive mask. It was as if a shutter had been pulled down, hiding the storm of emotions that had briefly crossed her face.

I could feel Artemis's gaze on me, assessing and inspecting. It was unnerving, to say the least, being under the scrutiny of a goddess known for her fierce and unyielding nature.

"Whoa, Bianca said. "Hold up. Time out."

Everybody looked at her, as she pointed her finger at all of us, like she was trying to connect the dots. "Who...who are you people?"

Artemis expression softened. "It might be a better question, my dear, to ask who are you? Who are your parents?"

Bianca glanced nervously at her brother.

"Our parents are dead," Bianca said. "We're orphans. There's a bank trust that pays for our school, but..."

She faltered, seeing everyone's skeptical faces.

"What?" She demanded. "I'm telling the truth."

"You're a half-blood," Zoe Nightshade said bluntly. Her accent was kind of old-timed, like she was recording Shakespeare or something. "One of they parents was mortal. The other was an Olympian."

"An Olympian...athlete?"

I snorted and faked a cough as everyone stared at me. I was a bit delirious so you can't blame me. "Sorry," I said.

"No," Zoe said after a pause. "One of the gods."

"Cool!" Exclaimed Nico.

"No!" Bianca's voice quivered. "This is not cool!"

Nico danced around like he needed to use the restroom. "Does Zeus really have lightning bolts that do six hundred damage? Does he get extra movement points for—"

I decided to adopt Nico as my son in that moment. He was so precious and and need to be protected at all costs.

"Nico, shut up!" Bianca put her hands to her face. "This is not your stupid mythological game, okay? There are no gods!"

The anger in Thalia's eyes subsided into sympathy. "Bianca, I know it's hard to believe. But the gods are still around. Trust me. They're immoral and whenever they have kids with regular humans. Kids like us, well...our lives are dangerous."

"Dangerous," Bianca. "Like the girl who fell."

Damn. Low blow Bianca. Low blow.

Thalia turned away and Percy clenched his fists. Even Artemis looked pained.

"Do not despair for Annabeth, the goddess said. "She was a brave maiden. If she can be found, I shall find her."

"Then why won't you let us go look for her?" Percy demanded.

"She is gone. Can't you sense it, son of Poseidon? Some magic is at work. I do not know exactly how or why, but your friend had vanished."

"Oo!" Nico raised his hand. "What about Dr Thorn? That was awesome how you shot him with arrows! Is he dead?"