Chapter 19

Armani pov

As the sun rose higher in the sky, the island of the sirens disappeared behind us. By the time the morning fog fully burned away, it was almost as if it had never existed. The three of us couldn't forget that it existed, though. It turns out ambrosia can't kill me, well, mortal me.

It seems that my body from the past was reincarnated to this time, which would make sense why Chiron and Hermes recognized me. But the question is, who brought me back from the dead? And why did they lock my memories? Was it Apollo?

I shook my head. No, it can't be him. He already brought someone back to life before, so he shouldn't have enough power to do that for centuries. Plus, even if he did, he would've shown up already. But...I know he forgot about me. Gods only die when they are forgotten by everyone, so...

Armani.

Why? Why? Just Why?

Armani.

Everything's become so complicated...

Armani.

What am I supposed to do now?

Armani.

I'm just so tired.

"Armani!" Percy called, shaking my shoulder.

"Huh?"

"Are you okay?" Percy asked, concerned.

"Yeah, I'm fine, just... I guess I'm still dazed from the hit," I lied. "What were you guys talking about?" It was quiet for a moment, as Percy and I looked into each other's eyes. I knew he knew I was lying. We've known each other since we were young; we can tell when the other is lying.

Percy sighed and changed the subject. I knew he would ask me about this later. "Annabeth was just explaining what she saw and how that showed her fatal flaw, Hubris."

"Huh... pride," I say, looking at her. It makes sense; most children of Athena are prideful, just like their mother. Fatal flaws are reflections of our characters, ones we have to overcome to survive.

Fatal flaws... huh... these flaws that eventually cause our downfall... death.

"Yeah, it makes sense for a child of Athena," Annabeth murmured.

Percy cleared his throat, "What about you, Mani? What's yours?"

"Love," I mutter, gazing up at the sky.

"Love," Annabeth repeats, looking puzzled. "I don't get it, how is that a fatal flaw?"

"Well, there are two types of love. There's romantic love, 'eros', and infatuation, romantic desire, 'limerence or ludus'. Sometimes, romantic love gets overwhelmed by infatuation, and when that happens, people can get possessive or obsessed. But I guess in my case... I would do anything for my loved one to feel loved."

 I clenched my fists, remembering my 'love' for Apollo. How I sacrificed so much for him, just for him to share a tiny bit of his love with me. I was so naive and stupid. I felt Percy's eyes on me, but I couldn't bring myself to look him in the eye.

How could I tell my best friend that I'm not who I say I am? That the real Armani, is completely different from the best friend he grew up with. That the me he knows might just be a lie.

If I told him the truth...would he leave me too?

I sighed and looked at the sea. That's when I noticed a blotch of land in the distance, a saddle-shaped island with forested hills, white beaches and green meadows.

"Guys," I called out, directing their attention to the incoming island. "Is that–"

"Yep," Percy confirmed. "Welcome to Sicily. Home of the cyclops"