Chapter 4

Armani's pov

The gym buzzed with excitement as PE class began, and students were split into four teams. Unfortunately, Percy and I found ourselves on opposite sides, leaving him to face off against Sloan and his cronies with Tyson as his only ally. It was a mismatch, with Percy's team composed mostly of scrawny kids pitted against the jocks led by Sloan. As I settled onto the hard bleachers to watch Percy's match, a sense of unease settled over me.

The shrill sound of the whistle jolted me from my thoughts, and I fixated on Percy's every move as he dodged and ducked, desperately trying to evade the onslaught of dodgeballs. But my attention was shattered when a ball struck the coach with thunderous force, sending him crashing to the ground.

"Hey! You could have killed him!" Percy's voice rang out throughout the gym, his frustration evident as he called out Sloan's team for their recklessness. But the response from Sloan's goons sent a chill down my spine, "I hope so, Perseus Jackson," they said with sinister grins that showed their true nature.

As Percy's eyes widened in realization, I knew we were in trouble. Nobody called him by his full name unless they knew his true identity. And these monsters did.

"Whoa!" Even Sloan seemed taken aback as the goons transformed before our eyes, growing into towering giants with menacing yellow eyes and tattooed arms.

Panic spread through the gym as the monsters unleashed a barrage of deadly cannonballs, trapping us inside.

"Let them go!" Percy yelled.

"And lose our tasty snack? No, Son of the Sea. We Laistrygonians aren't just here to kill you. We want lunch too!" With a wave of his hands, the goons conjured huge bronze cannonballs bubbling with fire, replacing the row of red rubber dodgeballs. Students scattered as death balls rained upon them, and my heart dropped when two were shot towards Percy.

"PERCY" I screamed and closed my eyes. I slowly started to open them when I heard no impact sound. I gasp, as I see Tyson holding two of the dead balls in his hands, standing in front of Percy. Knowing, Percy was okay. I raced down the bleachers to join Percy, a plan began to form in my mind. If I could help the other students escape through the emergency exit, Percy would have a better chance of survival.

Sighing in relief that the students were able to escape, Percy instinctively reached for his sword, but instead he reached for nothing. Dread crept across both our faces as we realized Riptide lay buried beneath the rubble, out of reach. With cannons looming overhead, Percy charged forward, but I knew he wouldn't make it in time. With a desperate hope, I dashed towards his locker, praying to find the weapon.

Just as the monsters prepared to unleash their deadly barrage, one froze, a glowing blade piercing through its abdomen. With a startled "Ow," the creature disintegrated, revealing Annabeth, her grey eyes ablaze with determination.

"ANNABETH, WATCH OUT!" Percy's warning came too late as the second monster lunged towards her.

"RAWR! How dare you kill my brother,daughter of Athena!" the second goon charged at Annabeth, with intent to kill.

With no time to spare, I uncapped Percy's pen and struck the monster from behind, causing it to disintegrate in a flash, leaving Annabeth unscathed but covered in ash.

"Armani, did you just?" Percy's expression was a mix of shock and admiration. I was pretty shocked too.

Before we could process further, Matt Sloan, still dazed, attempted to speak "Who the fu-", but Annabeth swiftly silenced him with a punch to the nose.

"And you," she growled, "Lay off my friend." Damn blondie can punch. It's good to know someone had Percy's back during those quests. I was a bit skeptical about her, especially when Percy said that the first time they met she tried to get him killed.