CHAPTER 23 - PATHETIC

Start from the beginning

Mina breaks the hug and cups Chaeyoung's face, brushing away the tears on his cheeks. Her eyes soften as she says, "I love you, Son Chaeyoung." Mina leans in, their foreheads touching each other.

The sadness still can't get over Chaeyoung, his breath hitching. "I love you so much, Mina-yaa," his voice trembles.

It's almost 5 in the evening, Chaeyoung sits alone in the living room, thinking back to why Mina couldn't reach his phone this morning. The thought of Sana, who rejected Mina's phone call, slips into his mind. But if it's true, he can't easily get angry at her because he now already knows the reason behind Sana's actions.

Suddenly, he remembers he told Sana that he would give her a call before he left. He clenches his phone and subtly scans the surroundings, afraid that Mina will come out from their room.

He discards the reservation, musters his guts to call Sana. After a few rings, Sana is already on the other line.

"Sana-yaa, I'm sorry that I'm late calling you," he begins, pressing his voice in a flat tone.

Sana on the other side clears her throat. "It's okay, Chaengi. I understand why you called me late. Are you home?" Her voice raspy, sounding like she just finished crying.

Chaeyoung hums in return, trying not to make the answer too long and obvious since he's aware of Mina's presence. "Umm. I'm home. Are you home too?" His heart beats quite fast.

Sana chuckles, amused by how Chaeyoung answers one by one. "I'm home, Chaengi-yaa. Where else should I be if it isn't home? In your heart?" She teases him.

Chaeyoung engraves a croissant smile upon hearing Sana's question. "Umm, I think so," he becomes too careful of what he replies back to Sana.

Sana lets out a big sigh. She knows what she's going to tell him will add some spice to the situation, but she has no other option anymore. She closes her eyes and seductively says, "I miss you, Chaengi," her heart feeling like it's being deeply stabbed by her own actions.

Chaeyoung's face fades; he stiffens his chuckles and slowly says, "Me too." His mind now imagines Sana's beautiful smiles and her laughter. He unconsciously smiles alone like an idiot.

Suddenly their bedroom door creaks open, Mina reveals herself behind it, and her gaze immediately falls onto her boyfriend, talking on the phone in the living room.

Chaeyoung's heart pounded, his muscles stiffened as he looked at Mina standing before him, leaning her back against the wall with her arms crossed on her chest, her gaze fixed onto him.

Feeling the need to pretend to avoid Mina's suspicions about the phone call and to prevent things from becoming complicated, he said, "Kkura-yaa, let's talk about the meeting another time. I'll call you back," as he turned off the call and tried to maintain his poker face.

Mina smirked, "Mr. Son, did you forget our deal already? No working on the weekend, Mr. Son," her voice laced with sarcasm.

Chaeyoung brushed his nape and walked close to her. "I'm sorry, babe. I couldn't avoid that one, but I promise no more. Don't get angry, please, my beautiful Minari," he pleaded with his innocent face and puppy eyes.

"Fine, this is your last warning, Mr. Son," Mina gave him a side-eye before stepping away from him and going into the kitchen.

"What's for dinner, babe?" Chaeyoung asked, trailing Mina, who had already opened the fridge and taken out the ingredients to start cooking.

Mina became mischievous as she said, "Your favorite chicken Caesar salad and me?" She chuckled.

Chaeyoung's eyes widened as Mina goofed around, but knowing Chaeyoung, he could be more perverted than Mina. "Both are delicious," he said as he walked behind her and snaked his hand around Mina's waist. "But you are way more delicious than the salad, baby," he whispered into her ears.