A Short Story: A Tryst in the Autumn Wind

The surroundings gradually transformed, adorned in hues of red and yellow, while the sky remained a piercing blue-a true autumn setting. In the heart of the abandoned park, a picturesque lone maple tree stood tall, exuding grace and offering a canopy of leafy shade.

Beneath its branches, a fragile young woman stood, seemingly on the verge of crumbling in the autumn wind. Her expressive eyes and melancholic expression yearned for something elusive, creating an ethereal beauty that could vanish in an instant.

In the depths of her memories, she recalled the nights when the moon descended and they would meet in secret at this very spot. She tried to force a smile, but beneath the surface, a lingering fear of her love's possible betrayal and absence haunted her. As she buttoned up her collar against the chilly wind, she appeared both pitiful and captivating, like a fledgling bird recognizing its mother after hatching, her lover's image deeply etched in her mind.

And then, in a twist of fate, he appeared, crossing the threshold of the yellow line, standing just steps away from her. The young man had transformed into a figure shrouded in mystery, emanating an enigmatic aura that she struggled to comprehend. Fear and trepidation gripped her, as if she had been transported to another realm. With an obsessive gaze, she beheld him, witnessing his smile contort into a grotesque mask of anger, and eventually, a neutral facade devoid of emotion. Shock washed over the young woman, leaving her unable to process the truth she had just witnessed.

Was this the true face of the love of her life? Had she been deceived all along? Or was it her own actions that had led him down this path?

But this was merely a fragment of her memory-a memory of a young girl who had yearned for nothing more than a simple, pure love. Despite never being chosen and constantly being betrayed, she couldn't help but succumb to this all-consuming obsession.

However, that was all in the past, an event that had finally reached its conclusion. As she gazed upon the man before her, seemingly struggling and fidgeting, words eluded her. He attempted to extend his hand, but she flinched reflexively, causing him to retract it immediately.

He cleared his throat, his eyes filled with a sense of nostalgia, and began his confession. "I'm here, after all this time. I never thought I would gather the courage to return to this place on my own," he uttered, his words carrying a subtle boldness that only two people who shared secrets could understand, along with a hint of distance that reminded them of their positions.

"At first, my intention was to love you simply and purely. But over time, it became distorted as I watched you soar to greater heights, achieving success and surrounded by countless admirers. I felt as though you were solely focused on your dreams and career, neglecting me in the process. It made me fear losing you, as if you no longer needed me. My once pure love and goodwill warped, giving birth to a twisted affection that I vehemently denied, but could no longer suppress."

He let out a deep sigh, savoring the air as he inhaled deeply. Then, he continued, "Perhaps, I miscalculated, believing that my darkness was contained, even if others were unaware. But within me resided a monster I never knew existed-a monster that took pleasure in your tears and found euphoria in your suffering. Unbeknownst to me, this desire of mine shifted. Instead of breaking you, I wanted to encase you within an untouchable glass wall, where only I could see you, want you, possess you, and love you." His words ended with a soft laughter, but it carried a deep sense of obsession. "But why does my throat constrict?" His voice, as parched as a desert, took a couple of steps back.

A sense of almost psychotic obsession and self-destructive urges consumed him.

"What did you think you have done? Did you not realize this would be the outcome? That's why you did what you did," she silently and pitifully questioned him.

As if releasing a scream, his expression grew rougher. His confession of youthful selfishness was a pitiful sight to behold.

"If only I could turn back the hourglass, fight against the cruel hands of time for you. But I couldn't. I failed to protect you from the darkness within me. I am deeply sorry," he uttered, as if on the verge of spilling blood.

He continued to lament his descent into an uncontrollable abyss. And in making this confession and finally letting go of the young lady he had hurt the most-the young lady who was his sole desire, the object of his obsession-he found a fleeting respite. Witnessing this scene unfold, her heart tightened.

His words pierced her heart, striking a chord deep within. His sorrow, refined through countless repetitions, settled within her like frost delicately rustling against a warm heart. When it collided with the warmth and melted into a corrosive force, her chest tingled, and tears unknowingly spilled from her eyes.

Then, he locked eyes with her, his gaze intense and unwavering. A gentle smile graced his lips, as if appreciating a masterpiece, and he spoke, "Since our younger days, this may be the first and last time I can be truly honest with you. I wanted to be honest with you once, because weren't you the love of my life?" He couldn't bring himself to shed tears. The tears in his eyes were diluted, their sorrow washed away and diluted. With a vacant look in his eyes, he lowered his head, turned his back, stepped beyond the yellow line, and walked further away.

As she watched his retreating figure, a pang of guilt washed over the young lady's heart. She found his actions naive and sorrowful, yet she couldn't bring herself to hate him. If someone could attain love by causing harm to others, she understood the temptation would be hard to resist. But it was a shame that they didn't realize the value obtained through such means was not worth it. Only torment awaited him in life. On the contrary, if given the chance, even amidst the torment, obtaining her fervent desire might bring greater happiness than the torment itself.

These thoughts swirled in her mind, her expression taking on an eerie quality. She momentarily suppressed an unconscious desire to call him back and hold him once more, knowing it would be futile. As she gradually began to fade away, the soul filled with sorrow finally departed, embracing eternal rest.

And with that, another life's path was altered. A cool breeze swept through the surroundings, dissipating the lingering warmth of a living presence and the fading afterimages into the wind. The poignant sorrow of the young lady, who loved the man who betrayed her even in death, remained. Yes, death-the final destination for the young lady who had been consumed by mad love. Under the shade of the maple tree, encircled by a fading yellow police cordon, the park stood desolate and mysterious.

Only the remnants of their presence lingered for a while, as she slowly dissipated into the air, leaving behind a sense of emptiness.