26

The torrential downpour was mirroring the tempestuous storm raging inside of him

The torrential downpour was mirroring the tempestuous storm raging inside of him. Every droplet was echoing his inner turmoil. The agony was too much to endure, his heart ached so much that he felt like it will burst out of his chest any moment.
His reflection in the tall window was ashen and desolate.
His dark eyes were crimson with unshed tears, he pressed his burning temple and woodenly stared back at the man who was once his true friend, Zaman.
Ebek felt like a shell, hollowed by betrayal.

"Why Zaman? How was that any of my fault. I'm burdened by my father's sins. Why did you have to take the one thing that makes me happy?"
Zaman's gaze softened as he registered the pain in ebek's voice. He felt the weight of guilt gnawing at him at the involvement of Ebek in all the fiasco that had unfolded.

"You ruined me Zaman. You should have just emptied your gun in my skull. Why do I always have to suffer? Why me? I have suffered all my life"
Ebek's eyes welled up with tears, his voice choked with emotion as he collapsed on the ground.
Zaman trudged towards Ebek and bent down in front of him.

"Ebek. I-I never wanted you to suffer. I was blinded by my pursue of revenge. The web of chaos I got entangled in, it was beyond my control"
Zaman took a deep breath, his own eyes were red from a mix of remorse and resignation.
Zaman placed a comforting hand on Ebek's muscular back.
Ebek was trembling under his touch. Zaman could feel the warmth seeping off of his thin white shirt.
He was burning.

"I just wanted to keep Gulaab close. To protect her. To love her. Now she's gone-"
Ebek's eyes welled up further. Zaman tightened his grip on his shoulders.
The sight of someone as influential as Ebek, desperate and desolate in a heap of his own tears served as a haunting reminder that love holds an immense power.
It can bring a serenade of joy, but it can unleash a torrent of longing and pain.
Ebek's love for Gulaab had brought him both tremendous joy and profound anguish.
Zaman could see clearly, that it was a catalyst that changed Ebek was a person.

"No matter what Ebek. I never thought I would have to use you as a pawn. I'm sorry for that. We are brothers by blood and heart. We will get Gulaab Bhabi back-"
Zaman's heart ached at Ebek's silent tears, feeling the weight of his pain and longing for Gulaab.
Zaman gently pulled Ebek in a tight embrace. Zaman felt at peace suddenly. As if all the struggles were worth it. The immense comfort of having someone by his side was like a glimmer of hope in Zaman's dark life.

"Sshh Stay Strong. Act like the big bad wolf you are Ebek. Don't cry no more. I wont rest still until Gulaab is back in your arms"
Ebek clung to Zaman as he reassured him. Ebek's  mind raced with the possibilities of getting Gulaab back. They needed to act methodically and swiftly.

"E-Ebek can you...can you call me Bhai once?"
Ebek's ceased momentarily as he felt the desperation in Zaman's trembling voice. It struck a chord deep inside his heart.
Zaman had always been there. Through his thick and thin, as a companion, as a bodyguard, but Ebek now their relationship had transcended new boundaries. He was family, probably the only true one he had.
Despite what Zaman did to him Ebek couldn't bring himself to hate him.