25

The rain stopped at some point as if honoring the weight of her thoughts, the air was heavy with melancholy as it wafted with the fragrant earthy scent

The rain stopped at some point as if honoring the weight of her thoughts, the air was heavy with melancholy as it wafted with the fragrant earthy scent. The living room was dimly lit, as Gulaab was perched on the small ottoman beside the high windows, her turquoise eyes admired the scenic view of the back garden where their hearts had intertwined with a tapestry of desire.
In the recesses of her mind, the warmth of his calloused hands, the mingling of their breath, and the feel of his lips against hers was vivid as it tugged at the strings of her heart.
But then her mind, played the echoes of his cruel words, his harsh threats. The voice interwoven with a deep affection for her had become raucous, blaming.
She couldn't understand Ebek at all.
He was like an enigma.
Just when a little hope of reconciliation wove into her silly heart. He had to flicker a flame to it and ruin it.
Gulaab let out an exasperated sigh. She couldn't even watch the television to see what Ebek was talking about due to the power outage after it rained heavily.
The sudden loud thump jolted her back to reality, her heart raced at the thought of Ebek coming back to her.
She rushed towards the door, at the forceful rap, her blue dupatta flowing behind her as she opened the door with urgency.
Her gaze shifted toward the door, witnessing her brother, her protector, her eyes welled up with tears as her mind spiraled with emotions.

"Bhai-"
Gulaab choked back a sob as she hugged her brother with all her might, her hands tracing his stomach where he had been previously shot.

"Gul mera bacha"
A mist fell over Azar's eyes as he embraced her closer, intending to always protect her from the world, and Ebek.
Azar cupped her cherub face, eyes zeroed in on her celestial features, tracing for something, a bruise, a mark but her face was unblemished.
Azar kissed the top of her head and hugged her again. Gulaab leaned in his embrace, finding solace in his protection.

"Bhai. Apko..Apko goli lagi thy Mainy dekha tha. There was blood. A lot of blood"
Gulaab cried as she traced his stomach again, her mind played the haunting memory of her brother being shot, and Ebek shooting him.
Azar reached out and wiped her tears away.

"I'm alright. Even more. Now that I have seen you kiddo"
Azar soothed her, as he squeezed her in a hug again.
Muraad and Hamid smiled warmly as their expressions softened into love and relief.
Muraad joined in the embrace, as he wrapped his arms around Azar and Gulaab.

"Now Now. Don't cry anymore Doll"
Muraad patted Gulaab with reassurance as she smiled up at him.

"I think we should hurry now before Ebek comes without making a scene"
Hamid suggested as he walked outside of the house, Azar nodded as he gestured to Muraad to start the car.
Gulaab stared at them in dread, they were here to rescue her. From the clutches of Ebek.
But Did she wanna go?

"B-Bhai...I..."
Gulaab stammered as Azar smiled warmly at her, urging her to walk. Her heart thumped as a sense of unease washed over her.