24

The footfall of heavy swat boots, reverberated throughout the house, like a melody of his victory

The footfall of heavy swat boots, reverberated throughout the house, like a melody of his victory. His lips stretched in a triumph smirk, eyes glimmering with mirth as a new sense of satisfaction coursed through his veins.
Patting the back pocket of his trousers where a new evidence rested. His trump card.
He strode away from the hollering sounds of police sirens and clocking of weapons.
Zaman halted in his tracks when he encountered zargull, her light brown eyes that always seemed to be adorned with kohl were widened with worry, her olive skin glistened with a sheen layer of perspiration.

"Khan. You..Are you okay?"
Her raspy voice quivered as she reached out to touch the disheveled strands of hair that fell on his forehead, the black strands a contrast against his alabaster skin.
Zaman took a step before she could touch him. His darkened eyes stared at the silly little girl who had harbored feelings for a man like him.

"Zargull. Your father must be worried. Go back"
His voice was firm, dismissive even.
Zargul eyed the distance he just created between them as tears welled up in her brown eyes.

"Khan you got what you wanted right? I was cheering for you. You are a harbinger of justice. You..you avenged every other person Shadman ever wronged. Khan.."
Zaman couldn't help but admit that there was indeed a palpable connection that had flourished between them at some point, amidst the stolen glances, exchanging cups of tea, midnight meetups due to his planning.
But, he just couldn't lead her on. The darkness that resided in his heart, The darkness that swallowed him whole. He couldn't let an innocent soul be a part of the mess that he was.

"Zargull. You are a good girl. Too good even. What I made you do, I shouldn't have...My vengeance..it wasn't something I wanted you to be a part of. But I did it anyways. I'm sorry"
Zaman stammered, his voice was laced with guilt and sorrow as he avoided her teary gaze like a plague.

"Khan. Are you leaving? Take me with you. Please khan"
Zargull whispered, as a sob escaped her lips.
Her treacherous feelings had eloped for the man in front of her, who was now forging his own path. Without her...

"I can't. I'm sorry. I never promised you anything Zargull. The feelings you have...I respect them"
Zaman traced his gaze over her features with a lingering affection.

"Khan...I understand..."
Her voice broke as more sobs retched her body.
Zaman took a step closer, hands reaching out and touching the soft skin of her bedewed face, he slowly traced the kohl that smudged through her eyes.

"Ro mat please. Mere liye nhi"
(Don't cry please. Not for me)
Zaman whispered, his eyes mirroring the pain that was glistening in her eyes.

"Nhi ro rhy khan. Ek wada kero. Wada kero tumhen Kuch nhi hoga. Wada kero tum iss andhere Main Kho nhi jaogy. Wada kero"
(I wont cry khan, just promise me. Promise me that nothing will happen to you, you'll be safe. You won't let this darkness consume you. Promise me)
Her own hands caressed his unblemished skin as she stood up on her tippy toes, her parted lips brushed against his like a lingering touch, Zaman closed his eyes at the overwhelming sensation of her lips against his.
He reluctantly took a step back, breaking the physical connection that had tied them together for a moment.