58) Make you Queen

****ANNIE'S POV****

"Mh! I understand... It won't be long now... She'll be fine..." Jack goes on with his odd conversation with the person on the other side of the phone.
I tap on the floor with my right heel impatiently while standing behind the door of my new office, waiting for him to finish his call so I can go in.

For another minute, Jack is still immersed in the serious-sounding conversation, which annoys me a little.
Losing the last string of patience left, I spin around and storm back to my desk.
Just like the previous day, Jack was making me study his weird cipher and had asked me to show him my progress.

I sulk on my chair, hating the feeling of being cast aside, even though it sounds pretty as hell. Why should I feel anything but disgust for Jack?
Why is my heart heavy with a longing that has been turning to sadness whenever I am away from Jack?

I want to hate him.
I want to leave him.
But...

The slow swinging of the door grabs my attention.
My gaze bumps into a pair of shielded eyes that bear no emotion.
"Let's go out."

"Out?"
Jack frowns when I question him. So maybe he doesn't like it when someone acts dumb, noted.

"Yes. And be fast about it." With this, he turns around to walk back into his office when he suddenly halts and side glances at me. "Don't make me wait."

Why does it feel as if he's mad at me since yesterday?
Could Pattie have found out about Jack kissing me and now she was threatening to expose their affair to Paul? Or had something happened to his business?

I quickly pile up the files and shut down the monitor. I cannot afford Jack's wrath even for one second.

************************

We walk inside the gigantic mall that covers quite some land. The building is at least four stories, with firm security at the entrance who does a thorough check-up.
I catch the hard glance Jack throws at the woman checking me, and my soul freezes for a moment.
He appears so serious. So terrifying. So...attractive.

I also notice the curious gazes being darted at Jack from the women who just walked in ahead of us.
They cast their eyes on Jack and giggle to themselves. The instant crush they both have on him is too evident. It makes me want to run out and abandon him in their hands.
Abandon Jack?
My heart objects to the thought strongly.

Somehow, I get mad just from seeing their flirtatious faces as they slow down their pace to wait for Jack.

He steps forward ahead of me, hands tucked in his hip pockets, an imposing posture that only adds to his charm. The charm that is growing irresistible to me, or any sane woman.
In the light flowing from every corner around us, Jack appears to be from another world that is not mortal. It illuminates his attractive features and leaves him glowing.

He is truly the most good-looking man I've seen so far. Not like I searched through Google for pictures of handsome older men and compared them to Jack only to find out that he walked above them, no.

"What are you staring at?" His question hauls my mind back to earth.

Dang it!

I dash forward in a short run and stop by his side, though I observe the distance between us.
"Sorry," I murmur with my gaze dropped.

"How about you try to keep up? I know you're short, but do put some effort to fasten your pace."

I gasp flinging my head up at him, taken aback by his blunt roasting. How could such words come from this picture-perfect man?
"Let's go, or these women will steal me from you."

I frown at his silly statement. Why would they steal him from me? Is he even mine?
"You're a-"
A hand on my hand urges me forward.

"You've been too talkative since you woke up."

As he leads me past the two women and into the busy world of the Savannah Mall, they scowl at me, looking ready to tear me away from Jack before pushing me off from a high balcony.
I can still feel their glares boring through my back as we distance ourselves from them.

"Do you...like it here?"

"I would, if you would let go of me. Their stares are haunting."

Doing the opposite of my request, Jack moves his hand from my back and further slides it to cup my shoulder, making sure it's firmer than the light touch on my back. "What are you doing, Jack?" I question through gritted teeth.

"If you're so bothered by their eyes, I can shut down the mall for the rest of the day."

I dare not hide my shock. How can he casually say such heavy words? Shut down such a prominent mall? That would cost him quite a lot.
I roll my eyes as an escape to avoid his.
"Do not boast so much."

Jack scoffs gazing down to the side at me.
"Do you doubt me?"

"Oh hell no," I answer sarcastically and paint a smile for him on my lips. "I'm sure you can buy the building."

He scoffs again and glances ahead.
"Why would I need to buy my own building?"

Once more, I roll my eyes. What's the need for him to be so pretentious? Does he think that I will be wooed by his boasting?
"Of course. What's next? A private jet and a country?"

"Now that you mention it, a country might not be a bad idea," he says with an indifferent tone.

"Stop it Jack, it sounds so cringe."

The hand on my shoulder squeezes it a little. "Nothing cringe about our goals."

"Our?" I repeat looking to the side at his focused gaze.

"What will you do if I gift you a country to rule?"

I slap my mouth before the laughter that had been boiling erupts. What makes it more humorous is the straight face he maintains even as he spills such fantasies.
How delirious is he?
Did he smoke something before leaving the office?

We halt in front of the elevator and Jack releases my shoulder to face me. The hand returns to its nest just like its partner.
"A country? How about you make me the Queen?" I say with heavy sarcasm and Jack only stares at me.

"A queen? So you wish to change the government?"

I let out a small laugh. I can't continue playing along with his delusion. He's so much into his character that it makes me doubt whether he is mentally well.
But how could a nutcase be as composed as he is?
Then this is all a joke to him.

"Is that possible?"

Jack nods. "Very."

I gaze at the elevator door as my mind ponders through Jack's wild imagination.
The government does nothing most of the time for people in dire need. They grab, silence, and rule with a cold heart.
The latest news talked about the killings in the neighboring states from two mafia groups clashing.

Innocent civilians were inflicted, yet nobody has been held responsible so far.
If, and if, something as bizarre as me ruling over a country were to happen, I'd make sure there would be no more Mafia groups to cause chaos.