53) A piece of memory

****JACK'S POV****

The feel of her soft lips against mine, even though for a second, strokes my heart like a lover's caress.
These feelings are deep and pure.
It feels as though I'm...falling in love again.
Is this even possible? How can I fall in love with the same person twice? The kind of love that is no longer ruled by lust.
It shocks me that I can now get close to her without getting extremely hard. And not that I don't desire her body, gawd, I want to spin her around and pin her on this desk like crazy.
It's just...something is evolving in my heart.

I take a step back clearing my throat.
She's tensed, and I cannot afford to have her emotionally stressed lest it trigger the invasive microchip residing in her brain.

While I cannot express my feelings directly, at least I can have fun with her. She'll be grateful I didn't take advantage of her loss of memories to mess with any other woman.
She's my woman. The only one I wish to live out the rest of my days with.
The only one I wish to watch play around with our kids.

Kids!
I steal a glimpse of the conflicted glint in her eyes and smile in my mind. She'll be the perfect mother to our future kids.
Maybe once this wave of WSG has passed I can make things clear with her. I want a family with her.

"Get me the coffee," I say in an indifferent tone before turning around and walking back to the couch.
Her glare bores through my back as she watches me lower myself on the comfortable seat. She stops glaring when I avert my gaze to her. "Why are you still here? Go, shoo!"

Annie pouts.
"How did I like someone like you?" Her grumble is cute, especially when she storms out of the room as if getting away from me will change how she's always felt about me.

The door shuts with a slight bang, after which I release one long sigh throwing my head back to stare at the plain ceiling.
The room sinks into an abyss of quietness, offering me time to catch up with the recent events in our lives.
Project Beta is almost complete. The weapons will be revolutionary. I have a feeling that they will impact history, which will affect our lives both positively and negatively.

With such power, we can either rule or get devoured by the world.

Another sigh.
"Annie. Annie. Nothing can ever be ordinary with you around me."
I chuckle to myself in the lonely room, thinking back to when we first met. Her big round brown eyes had stared at me with curiosity. They shed uncontrollable tears upon learning of her mother's demise. She had clung onto my legs, wailing for her mother to come back. The sight had been emotional for me back then, even though I was much colder than the present.

But she had recollected herself perfectly and tried to live her life as contented as possible.

My strong girl.
Strong horny devil.

------------------------

Knock-knock-knock...

The knocks make their way into my dreamless slumber as faint sounds, though enough to draw me out of my sleep.
I roll under the covers to face the bedside table. The clock reads one fifteen in red numbers.
Dammit!
Who could be up this late?

A yawn escapes me as I turn on the lamp, flooding the bed and floor with golden light. It illuminates my naked feet as the cold floor welcomes them.
*Knock*

Whoever it is, feels a little impatient.

Before opening the door, I grab the gun always stuck behind the door, covered by a a silly decor to keep its presence unknown.
*Click*
The door unlocks and I slowly pull it, giving whoever stands outside a chance to attack if they are here to do it.

A small figure dashes inside, "Jack?" Annie calls in a panicked tone whipping her head around in search of me. When our gazes meet, a wave of tension rolls off of her face.

"What is it?" I ask, hiding the gun on my back by sliding it under the waistband of the sweatpants I wear.
She looks disturbed and frightened even.

Annie's eyes dive down my bare upper half. Her eyes glimmer as they take in every inch of my rock-solid chest and abs, and widen when they reach my groin.
For the first time in my life, I feel a sense of diffidence under Annie's observation.

"Hey?" I snap my fingers before her eyes, diverting her attention to my face. "What are you doing here? Did something-"

"No, nothing." She then lets out a breath which felt it had been held in for some time. Her eyes dance side to side on mine, a clear sign of her lie. "I just...maybe it was a bad dream."

My muscles relax, there is no sign of danger. Such a relief.

"What dream?" I probe moving closer. Annie takes a sharp step away from me, her eyes falling on my bare chest as if communicating why she has done so.
I frown annoyed. How dare she avoid me?
I move forward... Annie shoves backward.
My frown only intensifies, but deep down, I love the little chase.

She throws the open door a side glance, planning her escape. But before she can make a move, I swing the door with my left hand, banging it shut. She gasps startled by the loud noise but recovers her senses quicker than I can blink.

Her body dashes to the side, her hands grab the doorknob in an attempt to open the door and flee.
I scoff internally while darting to stop the escape by covering her hand with mine from behind. My body comes in contact with Annie's, half naked and all, which causes her to freeze.

"You...get, get away from..."

"Not until you tell me why you knocked on my door so late," I make it clear, tightening my grip on both her hand and the knob.

For a few seconds, she wriggles in the hope of freeing her hands from my vicious hold, promoting me to send my other hand to keep hers on the knob.
Now, her body stands trapped between my arms, blocked from behind by my body and unable to move forward due to the wooden frame.

"I promise I didn't come here for anything like this. I...I..." Her words fail her. Either due to the tension or she's about to lie again.

"You what?" I question.

"Could you first...let, let-"

"Not till you tell me why you're here. If you dare lie to me, I'll have you clean the entire house alone."
I suppress the demon roaring 'spanking' and choose a lighter but terrifying punishment. Spanking can come in later when we've established a deeper emotional connection.

"This is inappropriate, Jack."

I let out a short cold chuckle.
It'd be fun in the future when she regains her memories and looks back to times like these. If she were fully herself, she would be rubbing her butt against my loin and act more innocent than a child.

"Don't overthink little devil. I'm being cautious," I diffuse her tension momentarily.

"Don't call me that."

"Oh, you loved the name."

"Whatever," Annie mumbles. "Okay fine, I'll tell you."

I still do not let go. Holding her short frame in my arms like this makes me feel alive. Her warmth through the pajama matches mine even though uncovered.

"I'm listening."

"I...I had a nightmare. In it, you were...stabbed, and I...I was helping you dress the wound when...when..."

This isn't a nightmare, no. This is...a memory.