36) Confession and envy

For the next half an hour, nobody spoke. I glared at Jack, and he frowned at me.
The silence was disrupted when the door was slid open by his bodyguard, Stan. Next to him was my Matt who wore a crossed expression.

   Jack tore his gaze from me and hopped out of the van. I thought he would just walk into the house, but no. The bastard turned to me and stretched out his right hand.
    Dear gawd!
Was he trying to be a... gentleman?

   I scowled at the hand, wishing I had laser eyes so I could bore holes through it. Painful, holes.

I slapped his kind gesture in the form of his hand away and got off on my own. With my ego to the sky and nose high in the chilly air, I rushed for the porch, but accidentally slipped and fell. The devil had to take the blame for this one.
   'Oow that hurts like hell,' I groaned in my mind, closing my eyes from the pain flooding my ass.

     "Gawd Annie, are you going to live on the ground forever?"

My eyelids split like lightning and scowled at Jack who was just stopping in front of me. "I can if I want to. Luckily I-" I spat pushing my body off the cold patio tiles when a sharp sting of pain erupted from my ass, "-Jesus!"

   I halted any further movements and looked back to where Matt stood. "A little help?"

    He was allowed to take only a single step before Stan blocked his path. Matt's eyes darted invisible poisonous daggers at Stan while my own flew up to the male towering over me. "What's the meaning of all this?"

    "Either you accept my help, or no one helps you," he stated firmly, his hot breaths visible in the cold air as the rest of us.

Gawd!
The arrogance in Jack.
How had I missed it all these years?
Probably because the dynamics of our relationship had changed and now we were man and woman, not guardian and child.

     "I don't need, your help!" I spat and pushed against my discomfort to get up.
'Just a little further, your ass will be fine.'

   Blame it on the weak state my body was in, but my movements were sluggish and embarrassing. But I was determined not to let Jack assist me in any way, lest he thinks I'm less mad at him.
I was one breath away from straightening when a hand slipped on my back and the other under my thighs. Without permission, the damned male lifted me off the ground, knocking some air out of my lungs.

    A low gasp escaped my lips, right before our eyes engaged. For a millisecond, the world around us disappeared and only Jack was there. The fine Jackson Raynatt who stole and broke hearts. And he was here, putting up with my little tantrums.

   He didn't mind coming after me or treating me like a whining baby. It certainly didn't bother him that I kept disobeying him in front of his subjects.

  'Anger!'
The devil in me yelled, slapping me from the trance.
   When my awareness slid back, I saw the tall walls of the house's interior laughing at me. We were already inside the mansion.

    He walked into the living room and lowered my tired body on one of the couches as gently as he could.
  "That wasn't so hard, was it?"

I answered him with a glower before adjusting my body to a better position that didn't put any pressure on my ass. That fall had done a number on my soft butt.

Jack then walked to the wall and pressed a button on the square panel, summoning one of his servants. In less than a minute, a young female, probably my age showed up dressed in the normal staff uniform, only hers was a little tight around the chest area, making her cleavage spill out.

    A tinge of jealousy crossed my heart.

Had these beautiful women always been around Jack?

   How many competitors did I have?

My envy made me space out for the next thing I saw was the girl hurrying off and Jack approaching me.

    He slid his jacket off and tossed it on the nearest couch. "I never knew you could be so dramatic."

"Oh please, did you expect me to be all smiles and hugs after what I just found out?"

   "Not really, but-"

"You betrayed me, and with, Pattie?!"

A loud sigh came from the male as he lowered his body next to me. He patted his lap looking at me, ushering me to either sit or lie on it. I had no idea which of the two he was implying, thus I didn't move even half an inch.

   Jack frowned and then took the initiative to pull me to his desired position. He made me lie my head on his lap before grabbing a blanket from the next couch and spreading it over my body. A sudden warmth quickly chased away the coldness on my skin that I had had no idea of from my raging phase.

       He rubbed my shoulder delicately, not saying a word.

   'Fight him Annie. You can't let him take advantage of you-'

       "Yes, the baby is mine. But..." The hand cupped my shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze. "But it didn't happen like that."

   I glanced up at him, but he was looking elsewhere, almost staring at the spa e before him. "She drugged me and took advantage of that to sleep with me. I swear, I wouldn't do such a thing, especially with someone like her."

   Jack finally looked down at me.
There was no anger on his face, just... regret.

"She's been threatening and being so damn dramatic."

    I swallowed my anger for a second to ask, "Do you...do you want the baby?"

    Jack didn't reply right away.
Maybe he was afraid his answer might hurt me, or be a confession to even himself. But I could feel the unspoken love he was developing for that developing child in Pattie's womb.
Had he always wanted a child but never admitted it to himself?

     Jack brought his right hand to cup my face. His thumb rubbed my lower lip softly, his dreamy oceanic eyes allowing me to dive into their depths. "I wanted a child with only you."

   As we stared at each other, the maid from early on showed up. She established her presence by clearing her throat.
  "S-Sir?"

Our intimate moment died out due to her untimely interruption.

  My heart clenched frowning, but she was only being dutiful. Whatever Jack had asked of her, she had to deliver.

My gaze traveled to the female holding a tray with two mugs on it, hot steam rising into the air. Her eyes were on the floor, a gloomy expression dimming her beauty.

     "On the table," Jack directed nonchalantly.

A soft clink rose in the air from the tray kissing the glass table. But I could see her hands trembling slightly, evidence of an emotion any sane female could guess...envy.
   I was aware of how appealing Jack was, and it didn't surprise me that almost every straight female had an unholy lust towards him.

     "Anything else?"
He asked when the redhead glued herself next to the table.
  Call it a duty, but I called it rudeness.
She could obviously see what we were doing and yet just stood there like a block awaiting orders that weren't necessary. Didn't she have a functioning cell in her brain to tell her to get her ass out of there?

      "N-no."

"You may leave," I spoke up, and both shot their eyes at me.
The girl's gray eyes held a questioning spark, one that I matched with a domineering one.

  But she was in no position to refuse. She simply nodded, "Ye-yes," and hurried out of sight.

Once she was gone, I turned my head, meeting Jack's amused grin. He tucked the hair on my temple behind my ear, still grinning. "Do I smell, jealousy?"

    Sudden heat attacked me.
I turned away in embarrassment.
Had my words been so obvious?

****Join the Patreon subscription tiers and read 36 more chapters plus 22 chapter of book 3 rn... Things are growing intense and strange in His to Snare. Don't miss out in the tensed relationship...😁