49) Spying on Pattie and Jack

****ANNIE'S POV****

His hair is a fluffy gold blond, it compliments his gray eyes which hold a delicate glitter in them. He said he's Pattie's...boyfriend. So he must be the father of her unborn child.
   Paul continues feeding me the chicken broth, his gray eyes keen, and his hand firm on the spoon. After each spoon, he brings a napkin towel and wipes the corner of my lips gently.

There is kindness in his eyes. Pattie is lucky to have such a caring boyfriend. He'll make a fine dad, a handsome dad.
  "Why do you stare?"

My eyes make a hasty jump to the other side of the bed, avoiding his gaze.
Paul chuckles softly and once more wipes my mouth. The napkin slips a little because, for a second, his thumb comes in direct contact with my lips. I do not think much of it or pay any attention, after all, he's my to-be brother-in-law and Jack seems to have agreed to their relationship.

    "How do you feel, Annie?"

My gaze drags to my fidgeting fingers under the duvet. There are some traces of pain in my head, but it is nothing to be alarmed about. Being surrounded by people who seem to care is all I need to recover wholly.
  "I'm good." Our eyes collide and Paul lets out a genuine smile.

    "Let's finish this and we can go out for a walk."

  "In the snow?"

Paul nods, his hands patting my mouth with the cloth. "The doctor said you need to have some air now and then. It'll be good for you."

   My gaze dropped again, "Oh!" I mumbled to myself.
I'm a little disappointed that it isn't Jack offering to accompany me. But hey, at least someone is volunteering to be around me.

   After one and a half minutes, Paul places the ceramic bowl on the tray, signifying the end of the feeding session. He pulls the duvet further up my bare arms, "Lay down a little. I'll be right back."
   I give a nod and obey without asking any questions. Like a good brother-in-law, he tucks me in before picking up the tray to leave.

      "Thank you!" I yell gratefully as Paul unlocks the door.
He spares me a glance and smiles.
Were we close friends before? Could it be the reason why Pattie dislikes me?
Or worse, was I having an affair with... Paul?

The thought immediately arouses an internal turmoil within my heart.
One that leaves a disturbing set of questions. I'd have to interrogate Paul discreetly about the kind of person I was.

------------------------------

     I pull on the padded winter beanie hat and fasten the strings under my chin, then move on to fix my gloves.
The lounge is deserted except for me as I wait for Paul to come down.
Pattie must be in her room or somewhere cooking some ways to torture me like her servant and Jack...I have no idea where my mysterious stepdad could be.

    I sigh exaggerating, getting rid of any negative energy. I should go out with a clean comfortable mind that is ready to draw back its memories.
I only hope she won't mind that her boyfriend taking me out for a simple walk...around the mansion if I may add. Nothing romantic.

   'I should still inform her, right?'
'She doesn't give a hoot dear.'
    'But what if she does?'

The battle rages on till I close out all the voices and settle on informing her. He's still the father of her child, she at least deserves to know where he's going.

I make a quick run up the stairs and turn to the right wing, but I suddenly remember that my scarf is still on my bed. My attention diverts to the left wing where Jack's and my bedrooms are. It'll be easier to grab the scarf and then pass by Pattie's room to talk to her.
    'Paul can wait a little longer,' I convince myself before rushing to the left side.

My hand grips the door's lock when a woman's voice from behind me floats to occupy my ears. It sounds so much like...Pattie.

   The bedroom opposite mine is, Jack's.

I shake my head and force my curiosity to retreat. My hand tilts the door lock, but her giggle makes its way to me again. It stirs me, ignites a strange flame in my chest. One that scorches my soul, screaming at me to just peep at them.

  Giving in to my devilish voice, I turn around and tiptoe to stop before Jack's door which is slightly ajar. I hold my breath, as if they would hear me through my breathing, but it feels like the right thing to do while eavesdropping.
My sight holds no significant image of Pattie or Jack, prompting me to push the door open an inch further.
I hop backward, afraid of them noticing the little change in the door's angle.

One.
Two.
Three...

Five seconds vanish without any of them yelling at whoever is at the door.

  "You need to get out of my room." Jack's deep voice rumbles from inside. It holds its irresistible charm even when angry.
   Gawd, I'll burn in hell for eternity.

To catch even the slightest sight of him, I push my head through the crack. My heart thumps inside my chest regardless of my held breaths. It threatens to burst through its cages if I dare frighten it.

   I'm a little scared of Jack spotting and scolding me. Not forgetting the embarrassment that will arise if they see my head popping in the room like a creepy doll.

    "Jaaack!" Pattie calls tenderly. "I'm here for you. I will always be. You don't need to act so cold towards me all the time. Look, she cannot help you any more but I can. Shadows needs allies and-"

    "Enough Pattie! Could you please, get the fuck out of my room?"

   "Not today. We've been through this. I'll claim you as mine and you will never get rid of me."

  "What are you doing?" Jack's question carries with it a pang of tension.
I quickly throw my eyes around the vision within my reach and what I see in the mirror leaves my jaw unhinged.

  Her bare back, smooth as satin, her ass round and slightly full. Her long legs stand with pride and a sexy aura as she steps out of the dress now gathered around her feet.
   Jack stands before her, his upper body bare as Pattie's slender body. The blue towel wrapped around his waist is the only thing shielding my eyes from trauma.

    "We've done this before Jack, why is it a problem now? Is it because of her?"

I know I should look away, but the mixed feelings flooding my chest glue me to my ground, my eyes peeled back as wide as they could go.
They've done this before?