55) A kiss

*****ANNIE'S POV****

Three identical Porsche Cayennes stand in line outside the porch. In front of each of them, a pair of armed, gray-suited men and women stand guard.
Jack is nowhere in sight, not till the first car's rear window is lowered, revealing his icy pair of blue eyes shielded by a pair of professional glasses.

'He looks...handsome.' I admit as my feet start moving forward.

After how awkward breakfast ended, I didn't think he'd want to see me again. But he had called for me and instructed that I wear a decent suit to match his.

The maid holding the umbrella rushes to my pace for I do not wish to keep Jack waiting. I can already tell he's pissed at me. Either from my comment earlier or I'm two minutes late.
The veil of seriousness on his face only adds a dangerous streak of good looks to him.
He's a mature, experienced, dominant, and good-looking man who I cannot see through.

His words and actions are like heaven and Earth, a strong reason for me to be careful around him. Or maybe he has a split personality disorder that makes him act the way he does. Because I still cannot understand why he's been strict and almost clingy to me while also screwing Pattie. And if that isn't enough, he's keeping her boyfriend, who is his rival, in his house.

Nothing makes full sense in the mansion.

"Hurry up!"

"Jeez, I'm already h-"
My throat runs dry in an instant following Jack's side glare.
I swallow the round lump blocking my poor throat and reach out to open the door. But one of the men standing protectively to my right opens it for me.

Just as I'm about to go in, Jack's door opens in a frustrated manner.
I glance to the side, only to catch the fuming male with his right hand in his hip pocket approaching me.

"Are you playing games with me, little devil?"

"Wh-what are you talking about?"

Jack inhales deeply, averting his gaze to the side for a second as if sparing me from laser eyes.
The snow falls carelessly on his hair while he casts his glare back on me.

What have I done wrong?
Had he not asked for me to come and accompany him to the office?

"Give me that." Jack grabs the umbrella from the maid with one hand and grips my arm with the other. One pull is all it takes and I'm slammed against his body. "Don't play dumb with me Annie," he whispers into my eyes.
The sudden hauling has left my palms flat on Jack's upper abdomen, allowing me to feel the little warmth that can make it through his shirt and onto my skin. Not just warmth, I can feel the hard carved abs under the fabric.

How many times a week does he work out to achieve such outstanding results?

"I..."
Speech has abandoned me. Or is it the charm of the blue pair that possesses a glint of dominance that demands submission?
Whatever it is, it makes me look dumbstruck by his appearance to the point of gawking.

Jack snorts a smile and my heart pounds twice as fast.
His smile is simply...breathtaking. especially when he still has a hint of rage in those eyes.

The older man lowers the large umbrella as he leans down, blocking our heads from the rest of the world. He grasps my chin gently.
"If you misbehave from now on, I'll start punishing you."

Those words.
They sound so familiar.

"But..."

"Do you wish to know your punishment Annie Raynatt?"

Out of fear, I shake my head. I'd rather not know how miserable my life will be.

"Oh well, I'll still show you..."
His lips smash against mine and something new yet familiar sweeps through my entire body. It's a sensation that offers me relief and tension at the same time.
I want to pull away but...his lips are so soft.
His kiss is so gentle.

The fingers on my chin hold up my face at him for more access.
By the time he retreats, I'm left breathless. My soft panting fills my heart with embarrassment. Why had I enjoyed the feeling of being kissed by Jack? Why had I not pushed him away?
Next time I will.
Next time?

"Why have you-"
His thumb rubs my lower lip where his eyes are still fixed on.

"From today, this will be your punishment for small mistakes. So be careful how you carry yourself around for I won't be merciful anymore."
Wild flames are dancing in his eyes as he spits out his threat. There is something more, like... contentment. A flicker that wasn't there before he kissed me.

Jack straightens, raising the umbrella with him. A chilly breeze from around me suddenly wraps its cold tendrils on my heating-up face, calming me down faster than a cold shower.
It curbs my hidden excitement from what I've just experienced and slips back my senses.

"What are you looking at? Come on, get in the car."

I eye the car in front of me, then up at Jack. He clearly didn't want me to get in, so what has changed?

"Dear gawd! Annie, how can we travel in different cars? Get in mine."

Oh shit. So that's why he stopped me from...argh!
I feel so dumb standing right here thinking that he didn't want me to accompany him anymore. So the cars were the problem all along.

I give a quick nod and rush to brush past him. Jack's hand ceases my movement.
"Let me walk you. You didn't even wear a warm coat. So careless," he mumbles the last part though I still hear it.

******************************

Immediately Jack sets foot in the building, all the staff lined up at either side of the entrance bow. Their hairs slide to form curtains in front of their visions to how deep their bows are.
"Good morning Sir," they chorus as if they have practiced it for years.

"Ken? Prepare the office next to mine as soon as possible."

"Yes Sir!" A young male maybe in his early thirties beams before dashing from the rows and scurrying away.
Wow!
Jack looks so authoritative from his walk to his talk. And it comes out so effortlessly.
A small smile creeps on my lips and I quickly look away to avoid his keen detection.

Like a shadow, I follow him, trying to keep up with his pace until the bitch of us enters the elevator. Three of his guards quickly rush off towards the stairs and I'm left shocked by their dedication.
Why does Jack need protection? What kind of work does he do other than running this magnificent company?

The elevator door shuts, once more, cutting off the world and isolating the both of us.

His shoes click on the floor as he turns to face me.
'Don't look at him. He'll grow tired and not bother you.'

"There's something I've always wanted to try," Jack begins. He takes a step closer and I swallow the tension kicking in.
Another step.
"Aren't you curious what it is?"

"N-n-no!" I stutter, my eyes bouncing from one wall to the other trying to find an escape route. But dang the box of an elevator. There isn't much room to avoid the intrusive hot devil cornering me.
The more he comes closer, the harder my heart drums, pumping too much unnecessary blood.