72

Niall's P.O.V

"So." She says and sits besides me. Her hair framing her face perfectly as per usual. She's the same old Gemma from London. Just more matured with prettier,more prominent features.

The rest of the boys are asleep,trying to catch some sleep before we land back in Holmes Chapel.

I,on the other hand, couldn't sleep even if I wanted to.

Gemma, I believe, felt the same.

"What's life thrown at you? I haven't seen you since high school," she says and smiles before opening a bag of gummy bears,shuffling her hand through the bag to find a red one.

I sigh.

"It's really too long,Gemma. I could probably write a memoir and it'll receive 5 stars for its twisted storyline and unorthodox actions it explains."

She smirks.

"Wow. Sounds like something I was reading yesterday. My favourite." She replies sarcastically and I break into a smile for once.

"Go ahead. We have hours."

I look out into the darkening sky of the jet and swallow the lump in my throat.

"I was almost caught,in Sacramento a few years back. I was messy with one of my kills,and they already knew about me. So,they chased me down and I was stuck at a roadblock a few miles in,"

She turns serious,listening to me intently.

"She was there. At first, I took her for a clean getaway,you know? Something to let me ride free from the cops for a few miles until they jumped off my back. I decided not to dump her anywhere,because, I changed my mind last minute. I didn't want to just throw her in the river and be gone."

"What did you do? Did you hurt her?" She asks lowly.

"No,no-of course not," I say quickly and then it dawns on me that I kind of did.

"I'm guilty of drugging her...and speaking down to her. Nothing more," I say, the taste of the words sounding bitter on my tongue.

"I told her that she would help me on my breach with Styles. Bring him close so I can kill him,of course."

I look at her and she nods.

"Go on,"

I clear my throat,surprised she didnt take offense to me confessing my kill plan to murder her brother.

"And after she did that,I'd..." I start but stop. What was I going to do? I know what I would've did if she was different. Of course,I know. I just couldn't.

"What were you going to do,Niall?" Gemma asks, almost in a rhetorical manner.

"I couldn't." I say lowly.

"I couldn't kill her.I knew,once she smiled at me in the car on our way to Harry. I knew I couldn't ever kill her." I speak sadly,swallowing the recurring lump in my throat.

"She just kept surprising me,honestly. I never thought I could fall in love that quickly. I sound like a complete softie. Its fucking stupid but true. We'd argue and argue over the dumbest shit but then she'd be there the next morning, humming the same melody and wearing a smile like nothing ever happened. She loved life. She still does,Gemma. She changed me." I explain,turning my body to her.

She wears a half-smile.

"I'm still listening," she counters, showing a bigger smile.

I smile to, and I feel like I'm glowing.Just speaking about someone you adore gives you butterflies,I swear.