69

Life is rough; it'll beat you down.
In all honesty,when I was younger, I always told myself that when I was older - I'd be just like my parents.

Happy.

Stable.

Successful.

Safe.

All of these things lived inside me once-but they've subsided.

I'm pretty sure my job in New York is completely finished-they most likely think I died or something.

My house is probably taken from my possesion due to my lack of pay,and my son probably doesnt even remember the sound of my name.

I sit on my balcony,overlooking the ocean, as a knock sounds at the door.

I dont look back , my thoughts drowning me.

"May I ask you to dinner?"

I dont react , although I think he knew I wouldn't.

"I need to speak with you. Formally."

I take a deep breath,closing my eyes.

"Thats okay."

"Amber,its important."

"Why dont you just tell me now, then?" I reply softly.

"I'd much rather have this done over a formal dinner-"

I laugh lightly.

"Dont you always," I whisper and try not to become more sad than I already am.

I've been with Harry for a month, and I have not received any information from my family.

Its very,very saddening.

"Please. I will have the car ready in an hour."

I hear him exit and I am immediately engulfed with an inevitable fear of being forgotten.

I then begin to think of the dress I'll be wearing tonight.

****

"If you need anything else, just call me over-" the young waiter says nicely, pouring my glass of white wine.

"Thank you," I say softly and clear my throat lowly, bringing the brim of the glass to my lips slowly.

Harry leans back in his chair , ankle crossed over his knee, his finger tugging at his bottom lip.

Watching me.

I don't engage in eye contact. I dont feel like fighting today. I'm too worn out from that.

"Did you like the gift I bestowed upon you yesterday evening?"

I look him over slowly, from his black boots to his black jeans and half open designer button down, all the way up to his dark eyes and wild hair.

"I gave it the Jennifer." I say nonchalantly, sipping my wine again, not breaking eye contact.

His eyes widen, and he leans forward.

"Excuse me?"

"I gave it to Jennifer. I didn't know you had a hearing problem," I start and he tilts his head.

"That was meant for you; not my maid-"

"-well your maid, recieved the gift. Okay?"

He takes a deep breath, and licks his lips.

"You were supposed to wear that tonight-"

"-I dont care for diamonds,Harry. Thats not going to win me over,"