New Skill and Some Interest Collection

I decided to practice for the next four days until the inter-sect competition, putting into practice what I had learned from practicing in the forest when trying to master techniques. That is, real practice and use are the fastest ways to perfection.

Instead of just sparring with Nicholas once a day, I decided to practice with him twice a day and also take on random people at the arena. This would effectively speed up my path to perfecting my new techniques as well as let me earn combat experience.

Since I was now two stages above Nicholas, it would be too easy to win. Not to say it was useless, as he can still give me pointers, but he would be quite a bit slower than me now. As for sparring with others, I don't want to get too used to one person's movements that I can't fight against anyone else.

Since most people sleep at night, I would spar all day and practice my stealth at night by sneaking around the sect. This would also familiarize myself with the sect layout even better, making it even harder to detect or capture me once the games began.

After making my plans and leaving the library, I went home and started reading the manuals. Since it's a little late today to read the manuals, practice them to where I don't need the manuals in front of me anymore, and go to the arena today to spar, I decided to start my sparring tomorrow.

I sat down in the middle of the room and opened the manuals to start practicing. The dagger technique wasn't too hard to comprehend; it's a series of different attack and defense moves using a dagger reinforced with astral energy. However, the concealment was another story, wrapping astral energy around yourself to change the light being reflected off you. It explains how the astral energy can interact with light and all kinds of such things that have me pulling my hair out in frustration. This whole manual is about the intricacies of how astral energy interacts with light, which is fine, except I don't have astral energy.

Using the fist and footwork techniques wasn't too difficult as I could reinforce myself in the same way as one would with astral energy to use them. The same goes for the dagger one, but my energy does not interact with anything in the same way as astral energy.

I decided to give it a go anyway in case I could figure anything out from experimentation.

I made a thin sheet of energy in front of me. I could still see right through it, though. After walking around it a few times, I tried to make it vibrate, which helped a little as it made the area behind a little distorted but not nearly enough. Though this gave me an idea, if light passes through and vibrating it can interact with the light, then my devour skill should also interact with the light.

I made the sheet of energy break down everything that touched it, and suddenly, it turned a terrifying shade of black, black like the abyss, as if it wanted to devour everything. Even being the one who made it just looking into that void of all light was slightly frightening.

Although it did make it impossible to see what is behind it, it also would erase everything in the background, leaving a silhouette of the abyss to be seen. Though this gave me some ideas on some more skills I could make, it's not what I need now. Maybe I can filter out light at different distances from the sheet that can still pass through it.

After a few minutes of tinkering, I finished. When I held my hand right behind it, my hand was gone as if it had been suddenly cut off, a little creepy. But I could still see the background clearly.

I wrapped my new idea around myself. However, I couldn't move as it didn't move with me. I realized I had tied it to a spot in space rather than tying it to myself so it would move with me. After adjusting it to move with me, I decided it was time to head out and test it.