Summer Child

(Based on the song Summer Child by Conan Gray)

Wednesday's POV:

She looked happy. Y/N was laughing at something Yoko said, my girlfriend sipping her coffee. She was smiling. Giggling. Laughing. She looked happy.

It was all a lie. I knew the truth, of course, who do you think is the one she rants to or constantly needs to hold? Me. If that wasn't clear.

She's had lots of ups and downs this year, her mental state wasn't the healthiest. I was worried (I'd never admit it out loud) and I felt sympathetic for my girlfriend.

Earlier in the week, if anyone had known, she pulled me aside. We sat in her bedroom until she began to hug me as we laid down, her hold intensified as she began to cry. That day she had confessed to me that she had been feeling a little down.

I was determined to make her feel better. I didn't know how, yet, but I would figure it out.

-

Another day had gone by, watching Y/N laugh and joke around with her friends or family before she came home to cry her little heart it out. I'm not sick of it, no, but I don't feel joy when I see the love of my life crying on the floor with her head in my lap.

I would only find that joyful if it had been anyone else but since it is my girlfriend, I was worried.

She was like the summer child. The one who seemed to always be happy, filled with sunshine and never hated anything dark or gloomy. She was quite the opposite, in fact.

I've seen it. The dark side of her that hates anything bright, prefers the color black, always seems grumpy, and rarely smiled anymore. At home with me, she felt safe and comfortable enough to show how she really felt.

My heart still aches at the sight of my girl struggling. Everyday. Every night.

-

By Friday I had approached her, hugging her from behind when I notice her sitting at her desk. "Hello, my love." I whisper in her ear, kissing her temple as Y/N's eyes softened.

"Hey." She mumbled softly, turning around to face me." What're you doing here?"

"I simply came by to check on how you're doing." I blunted, watching my girlfriend's face relax as she stood up without a word to hug me. I hated hugs, and physical contact for that matter. But I knew she needed this, and if it was Y/N, I didn't mind.

I wrapped my arms around her waist, allowing her to hold me for as long as she pleased. She didn't cry as much as she has been, this time only a few tears fall from her eyes. I felt them wetting the side of my neck, but once again, I didn't mind.

When I felt necessary, I pulled away, cupping her cheeks with my cold hands as I wiped her tears away. She leaned into my touch subconsciously.

"It'll be okay, mi amor. I'll help you get through this." I coped gently as Y/N sniffled, I pulled her in for one last hug and this time, she didn't cry.

It was progress.