Chapter 55: Coola

CHAPTER 55

COOLA POLRIDGE

In this: Coola, Serendipity, Serena

*Day 3

*Spring (April 30)

*Night

When I reach the main floor, a tall and fit woman stands in front of Serendipity with her arms crossed over her chest. As they talk, her body language says they are having a serious conversation.

Leaving them be, I look around. In the sitting room, there are plush, antique high-wing chairs surrounding a coffee table lined with coasters and magazines. A fireplace sits along one side of the room and picture frames with floral designs hang on the walls.

"Hey!" the new woman's voice says. At first, I thought she was talking to Serendipity, but when she said it again, I realize she was speaking to me.

I turn around and meet her gaze. Her eyes are a beautiful jet-black.

She waves me forward with a manicured hand.

Following her instruction, I walk closer to them. "Yeah?"

She holds out a bronze-toned hand with a smile. "Hey, I'm Serena Dagger." She nods toward Serendipity, her long, dark brown hair falling over her shoulder. "I'm Serendipity's half-sister."

I grasp her hand and shake it. She has a strong grip, more than most females. "Nice to meet you, Serena."

I look between the two women. They have some attributes in common, but not much. If you don't look at them side by side, you wouldn't think they're related other than a few features on their face and body shape. "Is that why you both have names that start with S.E.R.E.N?"

Serena smirks, "it is. What is your name?"

Serena is wearing all black. Everything from her black boots, black leggings, and black t-shirt with a black leather jacket. On the other hand, Serendipity is wearing light colors.

That's not the only contrast between the two, their eyes are different shades. Serena's being black and Serendipity's being a steely gray. Their hair is different shades as well. Serena's hair is dark brown and Serendipity's hair is dark blonde.

I offer a small smile, not really feeling joy. I think I may still be in shock about Ahshara. "I'm Coola."

"Nice to meet you, Coola," Serena smiles. "Sere here was just telling me Kenzi referred you to the inn?"

"That's right. I'm in town for some personal business. It was nice meeting you both." I leave a parting nod to them. When I start to head back up toward my room, my stomach growls. It is then that I realize I haven't eaten in hours.

Pivoting back, I hesitate asking, but my stomach insists as it lets out an even louder growl, letting the women know.

"Hungry?" Serena asks with a raised black eyebrow.

Heat fills my cheeks from them overhearing my stomach growl.

Serena smirks, "don't be embarrassed. Everyone gets hungry. Come on, let's get you something to eat." She waves goodbye to a cheery Serendipity and waves me forward to follow her. She leads me through a doorway and into a cozy yet quirky dining area.

She pulls out a cute and whimsy chair. "Here, take a seat while I fetch you a menu."

"You don't have to do that," I tell her as I sit down and scoot up to the circular table. I notice that circular tables are not the only kind in this room, but there are also square ones.