Chapter 28: Zyah

CHAPTER 28

ZYAH DEVEREUX

Location: Zyah's mom's home

*Day 3

*Spring (April 30)

*Night

*Introduce her (√)

I walk into the living room and see mom hovering over her laptop on the couch. "Hey mom!"

She turns her head and smiles at me. "Hey, there Zyah! When did you get here?"

"Just a few minutes ago. I have to be back at work tomorrow afternoon," I tell her.

"The software developer job in Angels City?"

I nod and take a seat down next to her and cross my legs. "Mom, we live in Angels City, it's not like I have to travel outside the city." I used to have multiple jobs to pay for school, so it's only reasonable for her to ask. After I graduated last year, I applied to Masters of Electronic Design and got the job right away because the owners were so impressed with my skills. The job I have now pays enough for me to only need one.

She laughs, "I know, I know." She stops typing and looks up at me, setting the laptop I bought her aside. After we got it, I helped her set it up. "Since you live in the city too, why don't you just move back in with me?"

"It's a closer commute from my apartment right now," I explain.

She nods, "Well, the invitation is always open. You know I miss you."

Smiling, I lay my hand on hers, "I'll keep that in mind." I look to her computer, "What you working on?"

She turns back to her laptop and shows me the screen. "It's a fairly new species of plant. I want to go gather it and document my findings. Mom is an herbalist, which means she specializes in herbalism, the study of botany and how these plants are used for medical purposes within herbal medicine and phytotherapy. Examples would be plants and herbs for diets or treatment of disease symptoms. She's worked for R&D Drugs and Apothecary in Dragon's Hollow for decades now. Strange enough, her boss doesn't seem to age. Then again, not many people do in Dragon's Hollow. I don't know why she's so worried about me traveling when she travels to Dragon's Hollow for work, but I suppose it's because I'm her baby girl, as she so often likes to point out.

"So, what are you planning on doing with the plants?" I ask, curious as to what her brilliant mind has come up with.

"Maybe I'll be able to write a journal article and study them!" She's enthusiastic and bright eyed while discussing it.

Her smile and enthusiasm are infectious, "Sweet, I'd like to read it when you're done."

"I'd like that." She goes back to typing and then stops. "You know what else?"