Chapter 22: Lucas

CHAPTER 22

LUCAS HOWLIN

*Day 3

*Spring (April 30)

*Evening

Makenzi, also known as Kenzi, but I tend to call her Kenz or Kenzi while Oscar calls her Kenzi. Kenz just called me and told me that she had already packed the car for our weekend to go hiking and camping. I wanted to go to The Mystically Enchanted Forest – or as the locals call it, The Enchanted Forest – because I really wonder why it's called that, but Kenz advised against it. It's also closest to where she lives.

Kenz had called and said she would pick us up in half an hour. I sure hope she had help packing because she is such a tiny thing and that would be a lot for her to do. She resisted our offer to help her pack multiple times. I even offered to come over early and help, but she told me that would not be a good idea, so I didn't push the subject.

I have known her for two and a half years through the FBI and DHPD. My brother and I work together on cases occasionally since Oscar trains FBI dogs.

Oscar is already psyched to go on this trip! I can't believe how excited he is to go hiking and camping. Then again, he often spends time outdoors when training the cadaver dogs, drug dogs, and rescue dogs. He is such a goofball, but I love him. I watch as he scrolls through his phone, smiling at something he finds funny on a social media app.

I shake my head and take a sip of water from my reusable water bottle. As I walk by him, I place my hand on his hair that falls into his eyes and ruffle it.

He swats me away and goes back to scrolling.

I go fill it up so it's ready for when Kenzi gets here.

When Kenz hangs out with us, we usually meet at Oscar and my house in Dragon's Hollow or elsewhere. For some reason, she doesn't ever invite us over to her place or she refuses when we ask to come over. I don't like pushing the topic if she is uncomfortable with it.

Soon Kenz pulls into the drive of our dark blue, two-story home with white shutters and trim with light brown shingles. I love how the color scheme gives off a cozy nautical feel. She rolls down her window and waves us on. "Come on guys! We got to get a move on!"

We grab our bags and hop in the car, buckling up.

She pulls out of the drive and we head on our way.