Chapter 5: Sasha

CHAPTER 5

SASHA

"I found more of Lady Heather's diaries!" Selene is excited and curious at the same time. She thumbs through the pages quickly, using her super speed and quick reading ability. "I'm definitely going to have to delve into this later!"

I shake my head at her love of learning and antiquities. I place the floral book on the ground next to the trunk and look within the chest again. Old, discolored sheet music and letters are stacked neatly under the diaries. I hand them to Nesaia since I know she can read sheet music. The books smell like an old library.

Nesaia beams as she looks over them. "I can't wait to try these out!"

I love seeing my friends excited over these new discoveries! The further we get into the trunk, the older the items smell. The trunk is deep and large, seeming to contain tons of items.

It's old porcelain doll wearing a frilly white dress and hat. Her moving arms swing and clang against each other when I gently pick it up. I cradle it in my arm, brushing the delicate fabric and smooth skin. I look within the trunk while keeping ahold of the doll for safe keeping.

There are paintings leaning on their sides. They're lined up in a neat row, old clothes, and delicate antique jewelry.

I place the doll on the ground as gently as possible so I can look through the other items. With each painting I carefully lift from the trunk, I admire the brush strokes. The first is an old painting of Lady Heather in a lovely dress. The second is a painting of her husband. And the third shows the two of them. I place them on the ground next to me and the doll.

After removing all of the paintings, I pull out a long, beautiful, cream, lace dress. I stand and hold the long, elegant, and flowing dress to my chest, what a perfect size. "Hey ladies, look at what I found!" I twirl around with the dress in my hands. The dress gains momentum and when I stop moving, the fabric flies out. It wraps around me from the inertia still within the fabric. 

"It's beautiful Sasha, whose is it?" says Nesaia, her eyes wide with admiration.

"It's Lady Heather's! It's lovely, isn't it?" I said, swaying back and forth. "There are paintings of Lady Heather wearing it!" I point to the paintings I laid on the ground. 

"Must be her wedding dress!" Selene holds out a hand with curiosity sparkling in her beautiful eyes. "May I see it?"

"Yes, here you go," I hold it out from me to look at it one last time before I hand it over to her. The dress is embellished with intricate designs. Beads and shining jewels are sewn into the delicate fabric.

Selene holds it out at arm's length, looking it up and down. "Thank you, Sasha." She runs her fingers over the beads, jewels, and pearls covering the bodice as her eyes look at it with adoration. She hands the dress back to me, "It's absolutely stunning. It sort of reminds me of my wedding dress from long ago."

Her nostalgic expression makes me want to know what her wedding was like. "I wonder why Lady Heather's things have been placed into this room," I muse, looking down at the items.

"Yes, it's puzzling," replies Selene. She bends down to pick up the picture of Lady Heather wearing the elegant dress. "She was so beautiful, wasn't she?"

"Why, thank you," echoes an elegant voice from behind us.

We spin around to see a ghost wearing a floor length white gown with lace around the collar. She stands very still and straight, shoulders squared, and head held high. She has dark hair, big blue eyes, a petite nose, and small mouth with full lips. Her skin is pale and her face is a gentle heart shape with her hair falling down her shoulders.