Chapter 8: Nadia

CHAPTER 8

NADIA FELIDAE

*Afternoon

After leaving the restaurant, Wing It, I hurry home. It had been a lovely afternoon spring day in late April. It quickly changed from whimsical and carefree to spinetingling and troubling.

The path to the front entrance of the castle is down a long-paved road before halting at a set of wrought iron gates. They're beautiful, ornate, and coupled with antique lamp posts on both sides. The gates and natural, stone-bricked wall encloses Donovan Castle Property.

Passing through the gates and force field, I make my way down a long walkway towards the castle itself.

The invisibility forcefield sprouts from within the wall surrounding the castle grounds. It protects and cloaks everything within from being seen beyond the gates. The magical barrier changes the appearance of the castle while everything else disappears.

(Might want to leave the spell/device a mystery?)

To humans and others who are not welcome, they cannot see the castle for how it truly is. They'll see everything within the barrier as dark and menacing, decrepit. It appears abandoned and haunted. However, to the residents of the castle, it looks well-kept, bright, warm, and welcoming.

Supernatural and mythical beings can see and pass through this force field. The barrier shields humans from seeing anything besides the fallen ruins. The castle and grounds are covered in overgrown vegetation.

If humans make it past the barrier, they cannot see the mythical and supernaturals creatures. That is, unless the creatures want to show themselves. Humans who survive a supernatural event—such as surviving death—can see them.

More often than not, these beings usually shield themselves from humans. So, if a supernatural being flies over the barrier, they will suddenly become visible. But, of course, only visible to those of the supernatural or those within the barrier.

Once on the property, I pounce up on the large stone wall dividing our property from the rest of town. I run along the wall, looking for others. Since I don't see anyone, I jump down so anyone outside of the castle wall won't see me.

I run around the castle to the back door. It's typically not used that often, so I hope it's unlocked. I want to make sure no one is there because Selene warned me about possible intruders trying to sneak in. 

My feet barely make a sound in the soft green grass and by moving so swiftly, my stiletto heels don't dig into the ground. 

Once at the back door, I try the handle and it's locked. I call Selene telepathically. "Selene, I'm here! I'm at the back, right outside the door! Where are you?"

"Around front, come, meet us on the porch!" She sounds like they have arrived.

I growl in frustration.

"I was just there; I didn't see you guys."

"Sorry, we just came outside. The castle is huge; it took us a bit to get gathered up."

"I know, I just ran the parameters," I say sarcastically as I debate about running around one side.

"Sorry about that," Selene says apologetically.

I sigh, "No problem, I'll be there soon."

Instead of running around the castle again, I scale up the side. Digging my nails into the stone, I propel myself up and onto the rooftop. Running across the rooftop, I pounce to the ground, and land in a crouch on the front steps before standing. It takes me about 25 minutes to cross the large castle due to my fast speed.