Chapter 35: Lady Heather, Mason

CHAPTER 35

LADY HEATHER

In this:

*Day 3

*Spring (April 30)

*Night

Sometime later, Skelly points to the darkness of the dungeon. "There she is."

I follow the direction of where he is pointing to see a mass of spiders merging into one large black spider crawling across the wall of stone blocks. The top of the spider's body morphs into a human torso, arms, and head. 

Her modesty is covered by a hoard of tiny spiders, creating a ridiculous excuse for a corset I've ever seen, it only covers each breast, not bothering to cover the rest of her up. Her black hair cascades over her light pale shoulders toward the ground due to gravity. 

She looks up at us and tilts her head in a curious expression. She shoots a web out of her spider backside toward the ceiling and then descends toward the ground. Once she lands, she crawls over to us with her eight arachnid legs. 

As she gets closer, fear builds up in my chest. I back away, but before I can get too far away, Skelly grabs my wrist. I stare down at his grip and up at his grey eyes set in his light peach colored face.

"It's only Arac," he says soothingly, patting my hand with his other.

I nod and look up to her as she comes up to the bars. "I'm Arachnia Webber, but most people call me Arac. No worries, love. I'm not going to hurt you." Arac quirks an eyebrow, "so, how did you two get in here?" She gestures to the bars, kicking one with the tip of her foot.

Before Skelly can answer, I explain, "I was exploring the castle grounds, became upset, fled and stumbled upon the cellar, and wound up down here in the dungeon. I was given a fright by some skeletons." I eye Skelly who shrugs shyly and then back to Arachnia. I continue, "Then a little pixie named Trixie locked us in here."

Arachnia sighs, "Oh that pixie, she's a troublemaker for sure." She unlatches the cell door and swings it open with a loud creak. As we exit, she states angrily, "I've got to give Trixie a serious talking to." She shifts back into a large spider, but this time, a red hourglass mark appears on her back. She scrambles down the corridor of the dungeon swiftly.

Once outside of the cell, Skelly leans over toward me as we watch her disappear from view. "When Arac gets mad, a red black widow hourglass appears on her back in both spider and human form.

"I almost feel bad for Trixie," I say as we make our way back toward the exit.

After we were let out of the cell in the dungeon, I went about, exploring the castle. Recently, I was notified that I had to prepare for dinner. If we had stayed in the cell much longer, Skelly and I would have missed our dinner arrival. 

The tables are long ovals with numerous chairs on both sides with a chair on each end, the chairs have red velvet covered cushions. I sit down at the head of the first dining table and gently place my hands on my lap. I hold my head high and I look around the room, gazing at the décor.

The walls of the dining room are decorated in thick, ornately golden trim along the doors and ceiling. In between the golden décor, reside dark blue, demask wall patterns that change with light. The shiny metal contrasting with the wall patterns along with the antique furniture create a lovely atmosphere.

Upon the walls hang golden picture frames containing old paintings of various people, including me. The giant portrait above my seat – behind me – is of me, from the year the castle was built. In the painting, I am wearing a long, floor length, silk red dress that is draped across my legs and feet.