Chapter 39: Jake

CHAPTER 39

JAKE

*Day 3

*Spring (April 30)

*Night

Once we are back on the motorcycle and the package is safely tucked in the storage compartment, we head back toward the castle. I feel her lay her head on my back and a vibration rumbles through my chest, not from the motorcycle, but from Nadia.

That's the second time today, I swear I heard her purr. I can't be imagining it. Is it me? I sure hope not, that would give me away. No, I'm not purring, so it has to be either my imagination or her.

I've never had a serious relationship like this with anyone, not even other were-jaguars. I can only imagine how she would take it when I tell her I am a were-jaguar, not a human. If I'm going to ask her to move in with me, she needs to know the truth. Although, she seems to be a pretty cool cat and seems very understanding. I'll tell her, just not tonight.

We leave town, driving past the cemetery, down the long path, where the twisted trees and brush cast a spooky light at late dusk. Once we reach the gates at the end of the long walkway, I turn off my engine and focus on her.

She gives me a tight squeeze, let's go of my waist, and hops off. Removing her helmet, she hands it to me and helps me remove mine.

She gives me a head spinning kiss, just like at the antique shop. She smiles and let's go of me.

As she walks over to the motorcycle compartment to get the box, I wrack my brain as to what just happened and whether I should tell her now?

Nah, it can wait.

Consumed in my own thoughts, I didn't realize she was waiting by the gate, just staring at me and leaning on one hip.

"Are you coming? Dinner should be finished by now."

I shake my head to clear my thoughts. "What?"

She nods toward the castle. "You coming in? Or are you going to stay out here all night?"

"Really?" My brows shoot up in shock.

She wants me to come in?

I have never been in the castle before. From outside the gates, the castle looks so creepy and ancient. I hesitantly nod my head, because she'd never put me in danger. "I need to park the motorcycle and I'll be in."

"Great! You're welcome to park it by the front doors." She points the direction in which she wants me to park my motorcycle. She spins to face me before she heads toward the castle. "But first, you have to promise to keep everything you see and hear within these gates a secret, that includes the castle itself."

"Uh, why?" I ask hesitantly.

"Secrets are kept because the truth changes everything. My inviting you in, means I trust you enough to keep them. So do you promise?" she asks seriously.

"I promise." It makes my heart happy to know she trusts me enough to show me such large secrets. But I can't help but become curious about what she's been hiding. I hope I get to find out.

"Good. I'll see you in there. I'll wait for you in the foyer." She nods her head for me to follow as she types the key code on the gate panel. She turns and smiles, then dashes toward the castle.

I restart my engine as I watch her.

Man, she can run, fast and graceful.

I can't help but smile.