70. Devoted orphans

The capital was busy preparing for the Autumn Festival that will be held in a week.

The streets in the commoner's residential areas have already been decorated with colorful small pennant flags hung from above their roof to one another, and plenty of stalls with vendors selling different crafts and kinds of stuff have already lined up to the point the eyes can no longer measure.

Children of common people have shown excitement and happily visit every stall to examine every item's price and beauty. Men and women, young and elderly were painted with smiles not hiding their eagerness for the coming celebration.

Meanwhile, the paved and cobbled roads of the townhouses and mansions near the royal palace have never been free from coming and going of carriages into every property. Distant relatives of the noble families kept coming to celebrate the festival as well.

Some noblemen were busy going on and about the royal palace as well, doing their errands to ensure that there would be no anomalies or problems on the day of the awaited harmonious festivities.

While a man can be seen walking up to his carriage, in the middle of a busy street.

Once settled, he lifted the curtains inside and peeked at the passing scenery outside. The noise from the heavy running of wheels and the shouts and neighs of both coachmen and their horses grew distant from his ear.

The path they trod on was towards the outskirts of the capital, where the jubilant and excited faces of the residents don't catch up to the ones on where they came from. The essence of the festival was dull in that part, yet the man felt relieved and relaxed as the scenery got quieter.

The road became slightly rough, and the number of houses decreased. Trees filled the side of the road and the green meadows became more visible.

After an hour of traveling, the carriage finally halted and stopped.

The coachman jumped from his seat and hurriedly opened the door for his lord. The nobleman carrying an intimidating and domineering aura made the poor man tremble as he bowed while waiting for his lord to step outside.

When the tall and handsome man finally set his foot on the ground, the shrilling voices of many kids welcomed him.

Kids of different ages came rushing to him and surrounded him with joyful smiles and genuine laughter. Their faces were filled with excitement because of the nobleman's arrival and the upcoming festival in their empire.

The coachman was left dumbfounded and froze on his spot. He watched with horror as he witnessed his lord flashed a gentle and warm smile to the young kids, and even picked up the smallest girl and carried her.

The girl who looked the age of four giggled and embraced her tiny arms around his neck, while the man ruffled her curly hair.

"My goodness! Erin hasn't bathed yet, my lord. Please, put her down."

A young woman in her early twenties came running to them, wearing a grey cotton dress and holding a clean towel. Her face was filled with worry as she looked over the man's expensive clothes being smeared by dirt from Erin's slippers.

"It is fine. I enjoy carrying them." Answered the man and gave the woman a timid smile.

The woman, named Yuna, scratched her temple and bowed to him afterward. She then gathered the kids inside the house and ordered them to play in their playroom.

"Let me have Edna bathe her first, my lord." Said Yuna and took the child from him, before calling out for a younger lady with the same features as her and taking Erin from her.