49. Missing darkness (3)

Elizabeth stood up as soon as the morning prayer finished.

"Bless us with your holiness, our great Saintess!"

She bowed and smiled kindly to the worshipers who participated in the morning prayer at the main temple, the one that belonged to the God of Light and Creation. Before exiting at the back of the altar intended for the temple's officials only, she released a gentle wave of divine mana to bask the people on it.

These people are citizens of the nation, and they also possess divinity, so the purpose of her action was just to revitalize their mana.

After receiving their farewell greetings and gratitude, she proceeded to leave. After the prayer at the main temple, her next schedule was to offer a short ritual in all remaining temples which can also be found within the mountain's vicinity. Only situated at different points of the mountain.

She trod down the boulders carved into stone steps towards the next temple which lies approximately three hundred meters away from the main. The morning sun had just risen and the hue of the sky consisting of different colors was really breathtaking.

Usually, Eli would casually stop and stare at them for a good while, basking herself in the cool breeze of the morning wind while appreciating the vast canvas above her. But today, her mind was occupied by the letter she received from Semaria. Her steps were hurried and impatience was written on her face.

"One of the very few moments where you showed genuine emotion."

She stopped after hearing a familiar voice. Turning around, she found the second highest priest smiling at her.

Bowing with her hands clasped together on her front, she greeted the higher-ranked official, "Your Eminence. Why have you come here?"

"I was present at the morning prayer, but you seem distracted. So, I followed you." Second Highest Priest Deuxen answered.

The priest's eyes showed concern. She avoided his gaze and continued to walk her path.

"Mona fell in slumber, by the dreamcatchers." She answered casually. But she knew the second high priest felt the tremor in her voice.

Of all the demons she could encounter, why does it have to be those potent ones? Her desires are the perfect food for those hungry hounds. And for Mona to take weeks to wake up, she could probably tell the catchers had served the most delicious course to hook the mischievous fellow.

She could only hope for her not to entirely take the bait.

"Careful."

Eli flinched when she felt the hands of the second highest priest wrapped around her slender waist. Her thoughts had completely wandered to Mona's situation and she failed to realize she was already walking past the stone step landing. If Second Highest Priest Deuxen had not stopped her, she would have rolled down the rocky terrain of the area.

"I shall complete the offerings instead. You really seem distraught." The second highest priest suggested, even more worried at her.

She gave him a soft smile to show her appreciation but also shook her head to refuse.

"I still can perform the remaining rituals. I must do it." She steadied herself and stepped away from him. Luckily, she insisted on paying offerings to the temples alone. If someone had seen their proximity, a rumor might spread.

Inside the mountain, proximity between the opposite gender should be observed. "Thank you, Your Eminence."

"Then, please watch your step. I will still accompany you." He answered and continued to walk down.