9.Iz

Mona grew up different from her peers. Lots of adults who met her at a young age praised her for her attitude. She was graceful, well-mannered, and smart. Of course, the reason was her father constantly treating her like a princess.

And they said a princess should act like a princess.

A princess should be brave. So, Mona never screamed even when watching horrors, it wasn't because she was not afraid, but because screaming is embarrassing. She learned to swallow her frightened voice and managed to appear braver.

A princess should be compassionate. So, she taught herself to be more accepting and considerate. She always lends a helping hand whenever she can. And this made her selfless, always putting off herself for the sake of her loved ones.

She molded herself into that of a princess, to make her parents proud. So, when her king died and her monarch crumbled, she was at a loss.

She didn't know how to act. It's as if she had forgotten how she was living all those times. She helped to rebuild her unsteady palace, but exhaustion pulled her down. And she became a mere burden.

She felt judged by others. She felt like hearing their insulting voices and pointing fingers at her for being useless. So, she ended up hiding herself.

And it was the darkness that brought her comfort.

She learned to appreciate the dark more.

Inside it, she can't be seen. She can't be judged or nagged at. She was relaxed and no eyes confined her every move.

She was contented in the dark.

Unlike her landlady.

Luna was a princess in her own home, the eldest daughter of a marquess. But unlike Mona, she wasn't loved or even treated right. And most of all, she condemns her own power.

Luna hated the darkness. There are some circumstances she made use of it, but she never wielded it willingly.

She was someone who was ostracized, ridiculed, and persecuted because of darkness. Darkness brought her misery. So, she despised it more than anyone.

She never pushed herself to learn more and explore her magic. Instead, she read books on theologies and sought a way to get rid of them.

She wanted to abandon darkness, but the darkness only wanted a companion. Someone who will keep their existence a blessing, someone who knows their worth.

"Damn it...!"

The Grand Duke grabbed the unconscious lady beside him and carried her.

Mona had regained her senses already. She fell unconscious for a bit because of the impact of her fall but she could hear the voice of the Grand Duke already. The only problem was that no matter how she opened her eyes, all she could see was darkness.

So, instead of feeling frightened about what would happen, she felt at ease instead. It was dark and no light at all.

But Mona felt at home.

"Give her to us!" A voice among the crowd shouted. "That woman has a debt to pay! She killed our loved ones!"

"A life for a life!"

"Off with her head!"

Stuck between the villagers and the pursuers, the Grand Duke has no choice but to fight. He carefully laid down the unmoving woman and unsheathed his sword.

But a woman from the crowd walked up in front and spoke.

"Why....are you protecting her?"

"An order," Kyden replied. He added, "And she's innocent."