19. Deja Vu

The hooves of horses are the only sounds that can be heard on that night. Even the coos and cries of the night owls and birds are being drowned by the heavy running of their mounts.

The road is rough and dark, and the only light is the bright moon above overshadowing the tall trees they pass on, blocking mostly the light it gives. Yet the man above the leading horse had no intention of stopping.

Maybe because the vicinity was uninhabited and too dangerous to stay longer in that place. Or perhaps, he was running after something or had a meeting he needed to attend.

But Mona knew none of that was right.

The man was enraged.

Another reason why the night seemed even colder than before, was because tiny flakes of frozen snow were coming out and being slapped at her from her front before entirely dissolving in the air.

If it was any other time, Mona would have been amazed to see the delicate and intricate shapes of those snowflakes and felt sad that they wouldn't stay longer in her presence, but now she can't even express her annoyance at the tiny cold things that come at her.

Although it was still a mystery to her why and what made the Grand Duke so mad.

She frowned at the man whipping his rein to make the horse run faster. She looked at her own horse and felt pity. The poor animal had been running for hours already without any rest, and it kind of shocked her it hadn't fainted yet.

"This is animal abuse," Mona whispered and pouted. She was reminded of that night on their way to the Lost Pier. And to hide her fear of dark roads and forests, she's letting out her frustration towards the Grand Duke instead. "What the hell is wrong with him? If he doesn't want to go with me, why not just say so?!"

She unconsciously kicked the horse which made it neighed and ran faster. The sudden speed caught her off guard, thankfully she pulled the rein immediately. Her mount caught up on the other horse, even though Mona didn't want to.

She felt like the anger of the Grand Duke was because of her. Although she had no idea why.

When Captain Lionel's younger sister aimed the sphere at her and was blocked by him, he was already mad. His face was grim and even the aura around him exuded danger.

At first, she thought something went wrong at the palace, but when he looked at her, Mona realized his anger was directed towards her.

Since then, the Grand Duke did not talk to her and only gave his order to find them horses to ride on.

Catching up to him, Mona shivered at the cold. This was also why she didn't want to come closer.

The man is a freaking iceberg!

A huge block of ice running on a horse!

Her teeth chattered, creating small noises in between. This caught the attention of the Grand Duke. He noticed his companion shaking and shivering due to the cold, so despite being mad, he slowed down and let the woman catch up.

Mona felt her horse slow down as well, so she managed to let one of her hands off the rein and tucked her cloak closer. She glanced at the Grand Duke and saw him holding a magic stone, and then a small fire was lit.

The small ball of fire floated and drifted from him to her. Which gives Mona a bit of warmth.

She appreciated the gesture, even when the Grand Duke instantly looked away and said nothing.

"Thank you." She murmured.

She heard him sigh frustratedly, then finally speak to her after a while.

"Let's talk about this later. We need to find a suitable place to settle for the night."