48. Missing darkness (2)

"Your grace, a letter arrived from the palace."

Kyden didn't bother to lift his head at his attendant's announcement and just continued to read the document on his table. Right now, the only letter that matters to him is the response of the holy nation at his request. The one he sent for Mona's sake.

Flipping the pages, he answered in a dull tone, "What does it say?"

"It is actually addressed to Lady Mona, from the Ministry of Civil Registration," Marcus answered.

He paused for a second, then finally gestured for the attendant to hand the letter over. Receiving the white envelope, the name written below indeed belonged to Mona.

Ms. Mona Adriana Young.

He stifled a burst of laughter after reading the name. He recalled her first name and raised his brows at why she cut it short. Reading the last name with her first made him think that the name was perfectly put together.

'Young monarchy. Pfft.' He inwardly thought.

Marcus was standing not far from him and casually observing his actions. He cleared his throat and put aside the letter. It wasn't addressed to him, so he won't dare to open it. But he already had an idea of what the letter contained.

Seeing that the letter was already addressed in Mona's complete name, means her application had been approved. Although there should be an evaluation before approval, the fact that it already passed the assessment without Mona undergoing it, only means that someone pulled the strings to make it happen as fast as possible.

'Was it the king?' Kyden thought while restocking the documents on his table. After doing so, he stood up and prepared to leave.

"Your grace, have you finished your work already?" He was stopped when his attendant spoke. Marcus sounded worried, but he ignored his way of quelling his bottled anger towards a certain duke by having him a ton of documents to check.

He nodded without looking and continued to walk towards the door. Grabbing the doorknob, he spoke before opening it, "I've also finished my work for tomorrow and for the day after, so don't disturb me for a while, Marcus."

He wanted to add that there was no point stopping him since he was sure that if a month passed and Mona didn't wake up still, miracle snow would really fall down on the southern area and freeze a certain territory for all he cared. He can still be glad that it's only been three weeks and a day.

He should be commending him for his patience, to not raise war on that certain duke, and to wait for Mona without snapping his last thread of reason.

He stepped outside without waiting for any answer.

Walking on the long corridor of his own duchy, he noticed the nervousness of the people greeting him when he passed by. Some may think it was caused by his superiority and domineering aura, but before, he didn't even bother to return their greetings and yet they did not feel any nervousness at all.

But it was different this time, somehow, they seemed to be avoiding him and behaving discreetly in his presence.

As if they all treading on thin ice.

He reached the hallway he had been passing on every day. And before even reaching his destination, his chest felt heavy already. Unconsciously, his step got slower. Whenever he would visit that same room, the familiar burden on his heart always brings an unpleasant feeling that he wanted to shake off, but couldn't.

Just the thought of what waiting for him inside that room was enough to drop his mood and curse someone. But even so, he can't stop coming every day and even staying for days.

He finally stood at the front of the door. But before opening it, he wished that he would be welcomed with the person he wanted to. The door clicked open and Kyden met eyes as dull as his.

"Your grace, you came again." Sandra bowed and stepped out of the doorway. Without waiting for his reply, she continued, "She...is still the same. I've already cleaned her, so I'm leaving."

He only nodded and watched the maid continue on her way. Sandra had gotten closer to Mona; he was aware of that. So, he's a bit worried for the maid as well.

Shifting his gaze inside the opened door, he finally decided to walk in and close them behind him.

"Still asleep...." He whispered and walked closer to the bed. Sitting on a chair placed beside the bed, he began to speak, "Ah, I should have brought the letter with me, so you can read them as soon as you wake up."

He leaned on his seat and continued speaking.

"Ms. Young." He snickered, "I didn't know that word can be a family name. I bet some family in your world uses 'old' or 'kid' as a family name as well."

He scoffed at his own lame joke.

"I wonder what's it like? Does your world have monarchs and...ah, no, right, you already said you have no king and you live in a...republic country? What does republic mean? You have no king, so does it mean a free country?" He settled his chin on his arm resting on the chair's armrest.

"A place where no one rules. It might be free, but I bet there's no harmony and order. In that kind of place, I wonder how you live and go on with your life...."

He paused after realizing his actions again. Every day since the lady fell asleep, he would constantly visit her. The first time was so quiet that silence felt deafening to him. The usual bickering of them and the smart and quick retort of her was gone, and all he heard was the sound breathing of a sleeping person.

On the second day, he started to talk and tell her about the day's weather. The following day, he began to report his day to her and complain about his attendant's constant nagging to finish his work first before coming to her.

He kept talking longer and even more elaborate. Until even the smallest and most random things escaped his mouth.

He sighed and cupped his face depressingly. "I wonder when will I get an answer. When are you going to answer me, Mona?"

He held her hand and brought it to his lips. What kept his composure in place was the warmth he always felt every time he held her hand. It was the only solace to his anxious and troubled mind.

"Are you perhaps dreaming of your world back there? Are you missing the people you left behind? Is that why you didn't want to wake up?" He clenched his teeth and breathed heavily. The heaviness in his chest became more apparent.

There was no denying it now, not that he denied them in the first place, but only because he never felt such emotion before. But now, he was certain Mona had become a very important person to him.

"Between here and your world, you probably prefer to stay there. But....answer me." He lifted his head and caressed her sleeping face, and in a gentle and slightly trembling voice, he continued, "At least, answer me. So... wake up."

But she never did.

Even when Kyden gripped her hand so tight it might break, she didn't complain nor react. The temperature inside the room gradually became lower whenever he entered, and Mona didn't like the cold but never complained to him about it, she never hated his presence. But now, he wanted to hear her scream and yell to hide his magic's transparency.

But in the end, he would casually hide them, afraid to make her catch a cold while sleeping. He fixed the blanket on her and bid her goodnight. Then he went and lay on the sofa after removing his coat.

The sofa was a bit short for him. His feet are resting on the armrest, while his head lays on the other opposite. His posture made him feel some discomfort, but he still did not leave and went to his own room either.

He wanted to stay and wait for her to open her eyes. Just so when she did, he would be the first person she'd see.