64. The one who lost apologized

The thought also made her remember the man involved. Who was missing in such an interesting event between his forces?

She recalled her breakfast with Sandra, who was currently busy helping in the kitchen after commenting that the food tasted bland, and was told by her that the Grand Duke was checking the progress of the ongoing construction of new and higher walls, and other gate-defensive mechanisms against monsters and intruders.

Their stay at the fort may take a few days before going on the road again. So, to Mona, fixing this matter to ensure peace between the two squads for the next few days should take precedence. But part of her is reluctant, remembering their ugly words and insensitive comments towards her.

Her thought snapped back to the present when the shadow of a huge man overcasted her. It was Lionel's opponent, the chief of the fort knights.

Sir Jezril Hans.

He was tall and had a big physique. Bigger than Lionel, in fact. For a second, Mona wondered how the captain was able to win against such a giant man. The man looks intimidating with his sharp eyes and defined jawline. His lips are pursed but his expression doesn't show any hatred or contempt towards her.

The blood dripping on his cheeks made him scarier and more dangerous, like someone who just come back after murdering someone.

Two men took her sides as soon as the chief came closer. Her brother on her right side and the captain on the left, with the rest of the knights at her back, ready to pounce the man on just one wrong move and ugly word from him.

But much to their surprise, the chief bowed his head and spoke to her apologetically, "My apologies for our knights showing such poor behavior towards you, my lady. You may think this gesture was insincere, but please don't view our whole squadron as foul and judgmental in general.

"Some of us have seen how evil the former lady was, and few even had relations with some of her victims. But above all, my lady, most are still skeptical to believe that she had truly perished and that the lady in our sight is already another human being."

They all gaped at him as soon as he finished his noble speech. They might be accommodating the visitors, tourists, merchants, or whoever passes through the gates with permission, as part of their job to advertise the north and lessen any trouble through a diplomatic approach.

But Mona and her companions did not expect them to talk with such eloquence and articulation. Even her brother, one of a noble birth and now a marquess couldn't compare to him.

"..."

The chief finally lifted his head after reciting his impromptu apology, looking a bit confused as to why no one answered him. But he didn't seem to realize that he made them all speechless.

Mona cleared her throat and coughed a few times after a while, "...uh...ah..."

She even felt embarrassed after remembering how boorish she speaks sometimes, thus, she can't seem to find her words. She felt that nostalgic feeling of being interviewed by a highly respected employer.

The feeling of wanting to express your thoughts through proper speech but being afraid to get criticized for your choice of words.

"And who do you think you are?! Casually apologizing as if you've never spoken sickening words about her!" Luven's raging voice startled her. He was now covering half of her and glaring threateningly at the chief. "Besides, I bet you're only apologizing because you lost!"

"I lost, indeed. But we're sorry because we made a mistake." Hans shifted his gaze from Luven to her and bowed lightly once more, "Again, my lady, we were sorry."

It was only her brother who had the intention to retaliate and refused a reconciliation. He looks furious and ready to fight another battle, however, Mona chooses to settle the matter and holds his brother's hand to calm him down.

She understood the reason why he got mad, thinking that those ugly words they threw at her weren't directed to her at all, but to his original sister. She squeezed his rough hand, sending warmth to wear off his pent-up anger.

Luven looked down at her and she gave him a smile in response. Before turning away and shifting her eyes at the chief.

"Let's settle this for once, then." Said her in a firm and brave tone. "We won't stay here for long, but still, I don't want myself and my companions tiptoeing around you guys just because of your judgment.

"My name is Mona, and I'm not asking you to treat me well. But please don't create a gap between your fellow knights. You all belong to the same circle. His grace wouldn't like it if his forces get divided."

She showed them a straight face, telling them she was completely unbothered by their insults. The other fort knights have already gathered around them and some have been listening to their conversation.

Mona suddenly felt nervous that her speech might have triggered another fight instead. But her nervousness disappeared when the chief, Sir Jezril Hans, laughed. The intimidating and domineering aura he exudes vanished, replaced by a light and relieved expression on his face.

All of them were dumbfounded by his sudden change of mood. And in her peripheral vision, she could see Lionel furrowing his brows, as well as Luven clenching his fist once again.

They reacted that way, guessing that the chief may have only been making fun of them, however, Mona felt that the laugh was genuine.

Before the two completely misunderstand and explode, Hans noticed their grim faces and realized the implication of him suddenly making a spontaneous sound with a lively facial movement that indicates amusement.

He stopped laughing immediately and waved his hands repeatedly while speaking frantically to them, "No, no. Do not misunderstand. I am laughing because I thought of something suddenly."

"And that something is?" Said Luven, folding his hands on his chest and arrogantly waiting for the chief's answer. "Are you making fun of us?"

"Of course not. I just suddenly noticed that the lady's way of speaking suits her here. So, for a second there, I thought of asking her to work here."

"I doubt his grace will let that happen." Answered Lionel and looked around.

"Pfft. He'll lose it, I bet." Pierre commented after.

"More like he'll be spending him every day here," Lucaz added and looked at her, juggling his eyebrows up and down.

Dien and the rest of Adri Knights nodded their heads, silently agreeing to his words and imagining them. While Mona looked at them with embarrassment, not fully unaware of what they meant. But in the end, she just shook her head at their silliness and let them run their nosy imaginations.

"... um, sir Hans..." One knight with the bronze cloak pin came closer and took their attention. He talked to the chief with a slightly trembling voice, "Y-You need to get treated first."

After his sentence, only then did they remember the chief's injured leg and wounded face. And like dancers who choreographed a single move and executed it perfectly, all of them turned their heads at her simultaneously.

She caught Lucaz looking at her with amusement and mischief in his eyes, making her recall her exact words about healing the one who went against their captain. His one hand covered his mouth, but Mona could tell there was a goofy grin hidden behind that hand.

He seldom shows interest in something and is expressive, and he's more of a rude and foul-mouthed knight. But when it comes to mischief and doing pranks, his expression changes.

So, Mona could tell she was being teased.

She frowned at him and looked away. Stepping closer to Sir Hans to perform healing after hearing stifled laughter from Lucaz's direction.