62. Night at the temple

Darkness started to creep on the whole mountain as night began to rise. From the old oak tree that overviews the whole terrain of the temple's premise and the houses that seem like the stars with their lights on, was the shadow of a lone man.

His hands are on his back, and his eyes are staring at the vast starry night. The light brought by the moon showed the contour of his solemn yet handsome face and illuminated his dark robes.

From afar, the solitary lights of the six side temples from different points within the mountain look like a beacon and somehow resemble a constellation. Meanwhile, the main temple, where the old oak tree was, is decorated with more lights than the others.

The night was peaceful. Yet the deafening silence within the place was disrupted by the croaking sound of a bird.

Upon hearing the bird's cry, the man showed a subtle smile. He averted his gaze from the sky and focused it on a branch of the oak tree, where a bird as black as darkness settled. Its wings are folded on its sides already, yet it appears like it still flapping its wings due to the dark smoke swirling around the bird.

With the bird's eye as black as the man's robes, it gives a more chilling appearance. But the man even walked closer to it and petted its head.

"Keep quiet. Lead the way, I will follow."

The gentle whisper of the man-made the raven fly away silently as if it understood his sentence. He then began to follow its path. Quietly walking away from the old oak tree, and delving more deeper into the woods. Where lights of the temples are hindered by tall trees and the road became filled with thorny vines and tall grasses.

The path wasn't new to him at all, nor did he need a guide to reach his destination. He brought no lamps, yet his steps have never been sure and steady before. His heart was at peace even in the middle of utter darkness and creaking noises.

When the path he was treading began to clear, his steps became quicker. In that clearing in the middle of the most unvisited part of the mountain's forest, erected an old temple ruined by time yet decorated by nature. There were no lights, but the facade was fully illuminated by the moonlight. It seems like the moon shines directly to light that temple.

The wind blows strongly, and the man's long black hair dances in the air. He carefully trod on the old marbled steps, and opened the large double doors, allowing the moonlight to pass through. Creating light inside the dark interior of that abandoned temple.

The man looked up and, in his place, he could see a huge stone statue. Its hands are open wide as if welcoming someone with an embrace. Its head is bowed, and its eyes are opened yet the right part of its face is cracked.

The hands are missing a few fingers as well, and some parts of the base are covered in wide cracks. But even with those cracks, the beauty of the sculpture still shouts magnificence and gives goosebumps to onlookers. Its unfading color gives an eerie aura, as if shadow coated the whole statue and made it unobstructed by any light. Befitting the name of its temple.

The temple of the God of Darkness and Destruction.

Wings flapped from a distance, marking the arrival of the enchanted bird. It flew inside and nestled on the statue's left shoulder. Eyeing the man, waiting for him to walk closer.

His black robes rustled as he walked. The color that symbolizes death surprisingly suits his appearance more than the pristine white and gold clothing he used to wear. He sat on a wooden pew at the very front and looked above at the statue.

"It has been so long since I existed. And countless lives I have experienced. You've given me the power to see the future and remember the past. But you never once asked me anything in return." He paused and gazed at the raven comfortably resting on its shoulder.

"You have no desire to revive your temple nor gather more worshipers. Like darkness, you crept silently and watched the world. I am willing to give you anything." He lowered his head and whispered, "But that was before."

"Before you showed me things, I longed to return to my arms. Before you helped me gather the souls of my children and brought them back to me."

The raven opened his eyes and stared at the man pouring his soul into every word he pronounced. Its eyes are sharp and penetrating as if it senses the words he will speak next.

"I'll give you everything. Serve this entire nation to your feet. If you want me to destroy this sacred land that abandoned and forgotten you, I will do so." He lifted his head and stared back at the raven's eyes with conviction and determination.

"But do not ask me to serve my own flesh and blood to you. Once more, grant me this wish. Please, find another vessel."

The raven flapped its wings and flew away. Its image disappeared in the dark, and the entire place was engulfed in silence.

The man remained in his seat for a while. Basking in the coolness and darkness of the temple. He closed his eyes and countless memories flooded his mind.

He was once a farmer.

He was once a rich family heir.

He was once a feudal lord and a peasant.

He was once a construction worker and an artist.

After being born in this world and possessing a great amount of divinity, he became a servant of the temple. And his non-discrimination towards dark and divine mana stirred the interest of a long-slumbering god. He gave him abilities to see the past and the future and appointed him as his disciple.

Because of that, every life he experienced became known to him. And the lives he will live as well. Each one is different. Only one thing remained and will remain the same.

In his every life, he was, is, and will always be a parent.

He opened his eyes and stared at the broken ceiling of the temple, where every hole was covered by vines and leaves.

He stood and headed towards the opened door. The bright full moon greeted him, and the cold mountain breeze of the night made him shiver. He stepped his foot outside, casting one last glance at the pitch-black statue before closing the doors.

Is it already past midnight? The priest wondered. He began to tread the same path he took and carefully sneaked inside the quiet temple. In just a flick of his fingers, the black in his robe wore off and revealed the white robe lined with gold.

Before going on his way, he threw a glance at the old oak tree through the window and failed to see the shadow of a bird.

He sighed and continued on his way. Towards the path that leads to an ancient room.