7. Death by mistake

"I've slapped a few bitchy faces and kicked some bastards' shins. But I have never harmed innocent people, or gave someone misery." Mona answered.

"I see. But truthfully, this can't guarantee that your claims are correct and accurate. Though there is a way to find out."

"Second Highest Priest Deuxen, are you thinking of trying to test the ball by using it on a convicted criminal?" The king asked.

"Yes. It's better if the criminal is a natural or an elemental magic user. If the crystal turns black despite them possessing such mana, then we were clearly in the wrong all these years."

"If that is so, then we might have killed an innocent." The king's face showed a complicated expression. He looked at Mona but did not say anything. "Nothing is yet confirmed. Sir Evans, please go to the castle's dungeon and find someone that fits the criteria."

"Yes, Your Majesty." The knight bowed and exited the door.

Mona felt something wrong towards the king. She couldn't tell what he was thinking, and could only doubt him, including everyone in the room. She wondered if it was possible that the result could be manipulated. After all, if the king wishes to, what can she do to stop that?

"Are you hoping that I was wrong?" She ended up asking him instead.

The king stood up and looked at her.

"Honestly, yes. As the king of this kingdom, I believe that criminals who commit such heinous crimes and practice evil deserve death. So, I won't be swayed by the pitiful upbringing or miserable past of the convicted. And as a king, I should not fail to give judgment."

Mona gritted her teeth. Those words of his enraged her.

The king walked past her and approached the door. And without looking, he uttered.

"And I am afraid that if you are right, then I did not only fail on my judgment but also a king to his subject."

The door opened and the king exited.

"This discussion will be continued after Sir Evans finds a suitable person. Your Holiness and Second Highest Priest Deuxen and the priests, please follow me. I will escort you to your rooms first." The attendant declared and guided the guest toward the door. "Your grace, please watch the lady."

The Grand Duke replied. "I will."

After everyone was gone, Mona's knees trembled and she collapsed on the floor. All her nervousness as well as the tension in her body had finally released.

"I guess you're really good at acting."

If the Grand Duke did not speak, Mona wouldn't have realized he was still there, standing and leaning at the closed door.

"You're collapsing right away when you just bared your fangs on us a moment ago."

"That's because I was fighting for something I believe is right. It made me brave." She sat up hugging both of her knees, then shrugged her shoulders. "But that was actually nerve-wracking, you know?! I feel like half of my remaining lifespans were spent just standing in the presence of your king!"

She was brave. But it was also because she was annoyed, enraged, and upset about everything. She didn't even think or mind getting under the guillotine once again for showing contempt towards an imperial family.

"But you succeeded in your purpose." The deep voice of the Grand Duke penetrated her ears.

Mona just noticed that the Grand Duke was the one who had been accompanying her from the beginning and talking to her without showing malicious or scornful gaze. All he did was punch her rude remarks and glance at her with boredom etched on his face.