51. Don't leave a mess behind

Mona felt something soft touch her lips, then it was filled with water. Her vision was hazy and the sounds she received were like the sound of a paper being crumpled. It was unintelligible and distant.

Her eyes which were able to see the shadow of someone hovering over her blinked twice, yet the images were still blurry.

Gulping the water down her dry throat, she tried to lift her heavy hands and grabbed into something warm and hard.

A hand. Wrapping hers with another. A hand that Mona was so familiar with.

"Y-Your grace..." She gathered strength to speak and a hoarse voice came from her.

Gradually, her auditory senses slowly came back to normal. She heard the voice of the man, "Yes. I'm here."

'Finally....', Feeling relieved at the presence beside her, she shut her clouded vision and opened them again.

The surroundings became clearer, and the shadow leaning over her turned into an image, then became a man wearing a serious yet relieved and worried expression.

"...I'm back." She mumbled, trying to show him a confident smile.

The Grand Duke wiped her wet lips and answered, "Took you long enough."

Her eyes followed the thumb finger of the man who just caressed her lips and thought that it was probably the softest thing she felt before. She smiled again and thanked him after. But her smile wasn't reciprocated.

The Grand Duke's face remained grim, and the aura around him was tense. Her hand that was held by him was let go and carefully placed on her side.

Mona watched the Grand Duke's emotions turn darker. He was relieved she came back, but he also seemed mad that she almost didn't make it. She bit her lips and felt guilty.

She dared to speak and explain everything right there but her attempt was stopped when she felt something squeeze her other hand.

She shifted her head towards the opposite side and found a teary-eyed person holding her hand tightly.

Surprised was written on her face and she was speechless. She felt awkward yet she couldn't pull her hand away afraid that his tears would completely pour out.

"...Marquess..." She uttered, and the man being called grimaced at her.

"You can just call me by my name. Please." He answered.

Mona stared at the man in front of her acting like an abandoned puppy, and was reminded of her own sibling. Now that she thinks of it, Luna and she has still one thing similarity in their lives, despite being completely opposite of each other.

That one thing is having a genuine and loving sibling.

This man never acted like she was different. Even in her memories, she saw him acting the same way he did to Luna. It's like seeing her as his sister still and accepting her changes.

"How come you are here... Luven?"

The marquess was stunned for a second and showed a genuine smile afterward. The emotions he had were clearly visible in his eyes. It was filled with delight and contentment.

But when the sound of a tongue clicking erupted in the room, the marquess' expression became sour and ugly, as if recalling a very displeasing memory.

The sound came from the Grand Duke. His face showed displeasure, but Mona had no idea what made him displeased.

Luven caught her attention again, holding an open canteen, "Would you like to drink some more?" He asked gently.

When she nodded, a familiar female voice intercepted the marquess. Which made Mona finally realize the presence of her friend.