68. Magic beast (2)

Trees swayed as the cool breeze of the autumn wind brushed past them. The sun was up, but the clouds moving slowly blocked its light from time to time.

From afar, Mona could see the beacon tower of the fort situated at the east wing. A shadow moved from there, indicating a soldier was on duty.

Looking at the opposite side, she could see the knights busy with their training, and beyond them was the part of the wall that was being reconstructed with new protective devices.

She shivered as another rush of the cool wind brushed past her. Her long hair floated in the air while the frills and ruffles of her long-sleeved tunic fluttered. Fortunately, she only brought trousers to wear since riding the horse with dresses and robes could be uncomfortable.

Glancing down a few meters beneath her, she could see her brother walking casually with his hands in his pockets. He looked up upon sensing her gaze and gave her a childish grin, to which she replied with shivers while embracing herself.

She felt the world grew on her as soon as she saw her line-of-sight decrease. Not long after, her boots felt the solid ground and she stood steadily. A thick coat covered her, put on her by her brother. She mumbled thanks and they went on their way to the stable.

Luven was silent along the way. He wasn't uncomfortable or looking awkward at all, he just looked like someone enjoying that moment quietly. Contented with just having a walk with someone dear to him.

It made Mona hesitate to ask or break the silence.

The two of them, although they were traveling together, still hadn't caught up on too many things. In times when she wasn't with the Grand Duke or the knights, she was with Sandra and Shelly.

Luven was a bit close to the Knights of Adri, but she never saw him approach the maid and the head mage if it wasn't she was with them.

Besides, she wanted to ask about the count. The first and last time she met that man, she felt something amiss. Like something wasn't right. But she could also tell that Luven had probably, no longer in touch with his father.

With the count's former title passed on to him even if he's still alive and kicking, and the divorce of his parents. Asking him directly would sound so inconsiderate.

"Are you still cold?"

She shook her head at his question. As well as shaking her intrusive thoughts away. She will ask him, for the memories of Luna she always have hasn't come as often as before, she had to ask the people around her to put the pieces together.

But not now.

Their relationship just got mended, even though it wasn't broken in the first place, she won't risk this relationship they had just to satisfy her selfish search for answers.

"Are you okay? Did it scare you?" Luven blocked her path and lifted her chin, examining her face with a worried look and a bit guilty.

She raised her eyebrows and answered, "Heights don't scare me. In fact, I like flying."

"You almost screamed earlier though."

"I was surprised. Lifting me so suddenly like that." She brushed his fingers touching her chin and continued on her way. "Let's fly again next time, both of us."

Luven stared at her when she said those words, she casually looked away and walked again. Sometimes, his perception is as sharp as the Grand Duke who can easily tell her thoughts. Or is it she was just transparent and an open book?

They reached the horse stable after a few walks of silence. As soon as she entered, the familiar neighing of an overly lively horse welcomed her. Nyx jumped merrily on its spacious stall, waiting for the stable master to open the gate.